DipABRSM

October 22, 2019, 4:25 AM · Hello all.

Have any of you taken/passed the above qualification?
If so, whats it like? My teacher has suggsted I do it.

Thanks in advance!

Replies (14)

October 22, 2019, 6:06 AM · Yes, I passed it (at the second attempt) a few years ago.

I can't really answer your question because it's not specific enough ... what it's like is a recital at a level significantly above Grade 8 with an audience of 2 examiners, a bit of speed-learning a piece of grade 6 standard, and a discussion about some programme notes you prepared to show off your knowledge of your instrument and the music you're playing. But then all of that's in the syllabus (which you should definitely read)

October 22, 2019, 8:49 AM · Yes I’ve passed it on the violin. I intend to do it on the viola in a few years, once I’ve done grade 8 and studied more repertoire with my teacher.

I think it’s well worth doing, I’ve a few friends who went through music college and completed the Diploma while getting their degree, not sure why, but they all seemed to enjoy it.

It’d hard work, and requires a lot of study and practice, reading and preparation, but provided you’re willing to do that, there should be no issue! If your teacher has suggested you do it, it’s probably worth going for! They’re not going to suggest it on a whim.
I can’t remember if you have to sit grade 8 first, but your teacher could help you find that out, or have a look at the ABRSM website!

October 22, 2019, 2:19 PM · I do need to sit it before it. My teacher has suggested I take it before music college. I'm just unsure (the cost more than anything).
October 22, 2019, 3:14 PM · You should probably be able to pass DipABRSM before attending music college.

It's unusual to find it as an entrance requirement and of course most music college students don't take it. But it's the right kind of level of playing. (Despite being allegedly equal to the level you're at after the first year of music college).

How useful it'd be for you personally I wouldn't be qualified to offer an opinion on - I imagine it could be useful to give you experience of what an audition environment would be like, and/or to persuade conservatoires to take your application seriously if you didn't have lots of formal education and conventional musical achievement on your CV.

October 22, 2019, 3:19 PM · Chris, thats partly why my teacher suggested it I think. My qualifications are not great
October 22, 2019, 4:22 PM · I would agree with Chris, it could go a long way towards something if it’s on your list of credentials. What is your time scale for entering and auditioning into music college, I assume you’re in the UK and plan on auditioning at the various Royal Colleges - London/Cardiff (my nearest)/Birmingham/Glasgow/Manchester?
October 22, 2019, 5:26 PM · I have a 3 year time scale. Do the application the year of my 25th birthday (I'm 22 currently) and then start in the semester of my 26th
October 22, 2019, 8:26 PM · Jake, I thought in a recent post, you'd decided to pursue an alternative non-musical career?
October 22, 2019, 9:01 PM · I've had some thought again and came to the realisation Lydia. My year this year has been all over the place. But after my turbulence, I am now set :)
October 24, 2019, 8:44 AM · I discussed with my teacher and he thinks it could be a good idea
October 24, 2019, 8:55 AM · It definitely is a good idea. You could also consider the ARSM too. This is something I’ve touched on ideas wise, I quite like the way it’s done. It’s still a letter bearing qualification, and stands your application out against other kids who’ve achieved grade 8.
When are you planning on sitting your grade 8? I recall the diploma work for violin took me a good couple of years to prepare etc. The ARSM would take less time.
It’s good you have a plan though!
October 24, 2019, 9:15 AM · Grade 8 will be summer next year. Thst is my time frame
October 24, 2019, 9:28 AM · If you have more questions about the diploma itself, then the ABRM forums are often pretty useful. There are a bunch of people there who have taken / are preparing for it - on v.com you'll probably get more useful general violin advice, but on the abrms forums there will be more about the exam, expectations and the viva voce, programme notes and quick study aspects of the exam.

https://forums.abrsm.org/index.php?showforum=23

October 24, 2019, 9:40 AM · Thanks a lot Chris

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Leila Josefowicz and the Los Angeles Philharmonic
Leila Josefowicz and the Los Angeles Philharmonic

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition
Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Potter Violins

Pro-Am Strings

Violin Lab

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe