Tone Wood

October 18, 2019, 7:53 AM · So I am looking to start violin #2. I'm looking for some opinions on Tone Wood. Since I'm only making my 2nd Violin is it worth getting top quality or should I stick with something similar to my first violin? Which can be seen in the pictures below and the completed violin in this thread here https://www.violinist.com/discussion/thread.cfm?page=3504

The tone wood from my first violin was from metropolitan music. Top is aged 10 years and back is a slightly flamed (not sure if aged)

As well as, If anyone has some website recommendations for tone wood I would greatly appreciate it.

Replies (12)

Edited: October 18, 2019, 8:46 AM · Hello Mathew,
I see Andreas Pahler supplied maple for your first violin. I'd stick with him, he's reliable, keeps nice wood and describes it accurately. That said I prefer to see and handle wood before purchasing...
Best of luck,
Martin McClean.

http://www.alpentonholz.de/index_en_n.html

October 18, 2019, 11:02 AM · Martin; Thank you for the input. Maybe I will use his tone wood again for the entire Violin because I am pleased with the quality of the maple back I used.

All though, I'm not sure of any dealers for tone wood locally to Long Island so I can look at the wood personally. I'll do some more research.

Thanks again

October 18, 2019, 11:15 AM · You're welcome Mathew.
I haven't listened to this particular episode but 'Rosin the Bow' is well worth a listen. Here's an interview with Bruce Harvie of Orcas island tonewoods.
https://www.stitcher.com/s?eid=58585550&refid=asa

October 20, 2019, 11:45 AM · You'd be best asking Maestronet folks, this is where luthiers hangout. If it were me, I would not risk wasting hundreds of hours of work with third grade wood unless we are talking about extreme price difference. I'd buy the best I could find within a reasonnable price range.
Edited: October 20, 2019, 1:05 PM · I agree with Roger. People can be superficial and pick a violin with beautiful wood over a equally sounding instrument with plain wood. I always assume that luthiers put more effort into the long process making a violin, by using beautiful wood over plain maple back and sides. Maybe the wood inspires them more. It is, in my view, an artistic process after all.
October 20, 2019, 2:19 PM · What is the grammatical function of the word "So" at the beginning of, like, your first sentence.
October 20, 2019, 2:50 PM · https://www.dictionary.com/e/sentence-initial-so/

Result of a google query.

Edited: October 20, 2019, 3:34 PM · According to the Urban dictionary,

"The first word of any answer given by a know-it-all D'bag, said to give the effect that they were already speaking when you asked your question or requested their opinion, in order to feign superiority or to imply that they knew what you wanted to know before you inquired".

I am not suggesting this applies to this posting!

October 20, 2019, 3:52 PM · So....I guess I'll just disregard the last 3 post as they have nothing to do with tone wood.
October 21, 2019, 9:50 AM · For a second violin, what you have used so far is fine. Generally the higher-priced stuff is based on appearance rather than acoustic potential (which can't really be defined in a way that everyone agrees to).

If you want to try something different, StewMac sells torrefied spruce, which could have some interesting properties. Aesthetically, it's Sitka, and might have wider grain than you might like.

Bottom line is that only the maker can decide what they are comfortable using.

October 21, 2019, 10:47 AM · kiln dried sitka is the worst choice IMHO
October 21, 2019, 11:42 AM · Don; Torrefied Sitka Spruce does look interesting and yes the grain does look slightly wider. I'm sure if I was to use this I could get a piece with slightly tighter grain. Well see.. I think i'm going to stick with the supplier "Pahler" for now and see how the second instrument comes out. Maybe on my 4th instrument I will win a Gold as you did. :D

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Leila Josefowicz and the Los Angeles Philharmonic
Leila Josefowicz and the Los Angeles Philharmonic

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition
Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Potter Violins

Pro-Am Strings

Violin Lab

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe