Thomastik TI and Rondo Strings

October 15, 2019, 11:04 AM · Does anyone here have any experience playing on the Thomastik luthier line strings (TI and/or Rondo)? If so, how did you find them relative to the Dominants? Thanks in advance - this is much appreciated.

Replies (6)

Edited: October 15, 2019, 12:16 PM · Rondo, yes.
Not rigorous A/B, but if you like Dominants, you will probably love Rondo.
Not absurdly high tension, fairly neutral, but a lovely palette of overtones (for synthetics) and a good, long life. So much so on that last that you'll have to remind yourself to change them before you catch them sounding OK but mediocre. No falling off the table, a la EP.
I didn't like the E string so much, but there are many options to fill that slot.
October 15, 2019, 1:20 PM · I don't much like Dominants any more, even though I used them throughout my childhood before there were other choices.

On the other hand, I love my Rondos and am really regretting the fact that none of my local shops carry them. (I got them at Bein & Fushi when I took my violin there for a repair.) They are modest tension, neutral, and sound absolutely terrific. The violin basically just sounds and behaves like itself. Rings freely, sounds balanced, responds quickly, projects well, good complexity, blends when I need it to, stands out when necessary. I'm using them with a Warchal Amber E.

October 15, 2019, 1:25 PM · My daughters violin was less than optimal with EP
They replaced with Rondos and improved sound greatly.
And as said above they seem to last a long time.
October 15, 2019, 2:38 PM · I only use Rondo now on my violin, and so does my wife. A very neutral string that does not try to add texture to the violin's core sound, with a consistency and predictable response of Dominant along with the power and quick break-in time of their Vision line.

We buy them from our local shop!

October 15, 2019, 9:16 PM · I have played on Rondos for a year, and I’m in agreement with everything aforementioned. I didn’t substitute the E string; it seems to complement the other strings in my opinion. It’s fairly powerful too. I find the G string allows for clarity in the higher positions (actually, all the strings are good in this regard). I’m not sure if these strings are as warm as Dominants; they certainly are very focused as opposed to fuzzy. In addition, I have found them to very stable in terms of pitch.
October 16, 2019, 7:53 AM · I use the Rondos as well on my modern Italian violin (can be purchased online at Connolly music) and love them dearly. The maker of the violin recommended them to me.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Leila Josefowicz and the Los Angeles Philharmonic
Leila Josefowicz and the Los Angeles Philharmonic

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition
Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Potter Violins

Pro-Am Strings

Violin Lab

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe