Morpheus vs Reflection

October 15, 2019, 8:21 AM · Hello all,
A question for you viola players out there. Which of these 2, Morpheus by Rebecca Clarke or Reflection by Benjamin Britten is the easiest technically?

Thanks in advance.

Replies (11)

October 15, 2019, 8:36 AM · I don't know the answer to this, but Morpheus is a particularly beautiful work and an audience-pleaser.
October 15, 2019, 8:41 AM · It is absolutely gorgeous I agree, but I am finding it diffucult so am looking for alternative
Edited: October 15, 2019, 4:53 PM · Morpheus is much easier, in my opinion.

But keep in mind that violists' opinions may differ dramatically on which of two pieces is easier to play, depending on their body type and hand size.

October 17, 2019, 8:04 PM · Andrew I get that. Just trying to look around for a new Grade 8 C piece as I am kinda struggling with the Morpheus at the moment
Edited: October 18, 2019, 3:20 AM · Which exam board are you working on Jake?

Edited to add:
If it’s ABRSM, I’ve had a lot of fun with Christmas Dance and Fiddle Faddle. They’re thoroughly enjoyable pieces, not necessarily easier, but you might enjoy working on them more. Good luck!

October 18, 2019, 7:34 AM · MZ, it is indeed ABRSM haha
October 18, 2019, 7:45 AM · Very good, I hope the preparation goes well for it. Are you going to sit the grade?

Between the two, I find Morpheus easier, personally. But as others have said, this won’t be the same for everyone.

I reckon you should have a look at the other C pieces, listen to them on YouTube or Spotify and see if there is anything that takes your fancy? This is how I landed on Christmas Dance, it’s just so much fun to pay!

October 18, 2019, 8:02 AM · Its funny you said that I like the Nadia Boulenger arr by leduc (piece no 3). I had a listen and it seems like a lot of fun
October 18, 2019, 8:05 AM · I am going to yeah. Next summer/autumn
October 18, 2019, 8:12 AM · Similar time line to myself. Part of the grade 8, I think is finding the pieces you just thoroughly enjoy. You could probably keep working on Morpheus alongside another C piece, and when it comes to the day, choose which ever is strongest. This is the method I’m going with, partly so my lessons remain interesting, but also to get more repertoire under my belt.
What does your teacher say? I think it’s important to raise your issues with Morpheus with them, even though we can’t enjoy every piece, you can certainly make it easier for yourself.
Also, something you enjoy is easier to practice!
October 18, 2019, 8:14 AM · I haven't had a chance to ask him yet (I missed my lesson this week). But I'll ask him in my lesson next week. I also agree about picking pieces one enjoys

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Leila Josefowicz and the Los Angeles Philharmonic
Leila Josefowicz and the Los Angeles Philharmonic

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition
Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Potter Violins

Pro-Am Strings

Violin Lab

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe