Anyone using the Artino SR-11 round shoulder pad?

October 14, 2019, 5:24 PM · I'm having issues with the height of the Everest shoulder rest on my Viola and think this round stick on 3.5" pad might be the way to go. Anyone have luck with these? I don't have a long neck.

Replies (6)

Edited: October 14, 2019, 6:02 PM · I've personally never tried this shoulder pad, but everyone is different. Yes, in general you will find yourself needing a lower setup on viola than violin because of the thickness of the instrument, so going the shoulder pad/sponge route is a good idea since there's a very good chance going completely restless won't work either (you'll probably want something to stop slippage). I'm sure you've tried lowering your Everest to lowest setting, right? Also, have you thought about your choice of chinrest?
Edited: October 14, 2019, 6:14 PM · It's already set at it's lowest point, the chinrest is pretty low as well. When I put it on my shoulder with the shoulder rest attached, my chin and neck remain at an upward angle, which according to the basics, is too high.
October 14, 2019, 6:24 PM · Yes, then I would definitely give Artino a try. Everyone is different, so I would definitely work on finding a low but supportive shoulder pad.
October 15, 2019, 6:36 AM · I use the Artino successfully with my violin, but have not yet found a solution with the pad for my viola. I am currently experimenting with higher chin rests, to see if I can get that combination to work.
October 15, 2019, 2:54 PM · Good luck :)
October 16, 2019, 10:23 AM · I'd measure the lift you need by folding up a cloth or a sponge etc etc before buying

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Leila Josefowicz and the Los Angeles Philharmonic
Leila Josefowicz and the Los Angeles Philharmonic

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition
Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Potter Violins

Pro-Am Strings

Violin Lab

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe