ABC with the Violin | Appreciating the Beauty of Carnatic Music | Episode 2 | Sangathis

October 12, 2019, 9:49 PM ·

ABC with the violin - Appreciating the Beauty of Carnatic Music . This new series will attempt to share with you some of the intricacies and beauty of Carnatic music.

Sangathis are musical variations of a phrase in a kriti. These variations add more musical beauty to the phrase by further enunciating the mood , emotion and raga Bhava of the composition.These variations have been demonstrated with Bharatiyar and Saint Thyagaraja ‘s compositions. For those who wish to ask music related queries click on http://violinpadmashankar.com/askviolinpadma

For details on online lessons/classes contact +91 9884198930.

Replies (4)

Edited: October 12, 2019, 10:37 PM · I watched your video with interest, mostly because I must admit absolute ignorance in the origins, structure and aesthetic of this music. If it’s not frustratingly basic, would you be willing to provide some bedrock foundations on it in this forum, e.g. history, structure (scales etc), concepts such as “raga”, to take the first steps to understand it? To me, music is emotional communication, and to a European-tuned musical brain, I need foundation to begin to appreciate what it is saying. I would also be interested in any perspectives on the technical, like violin and bow hold. Thanks in advance if you can do that.
October 16, 2019, 8:29 PM · Thank you for watching my video with interest . ABC is a humble effort to share the beauty of this musical form . You are always welcome to ask any specific music related queries at Ask Violin Padma at http://violinpadmashankar.com/askviolinpadma
About the topics you have mentioned , I will try to cover as much as I can in the forthcoming videos .
October 17, 2019, 7:00 AM · Enjoyed the video - thanks. Back in the day I took some Carnatic violin lessons after hearing L.Shankar and L.Subramaniam. A brief lesson with Subramaniam was a highlight of my life! I was a classical violin student and was bowled over when I heard how different the violin could sound and it sent me on a very different direction. I'm happy to hear that you are carrying the vibrato-less style as I hear some modern players incorporating vibrato. A Western classical violinist is taught that a big part of expression is in the vibrato and Indian music on the violin shows just how expressive and vocal the violin can sound without vibrato. It also really helped me with my intonation learning to play this style. I feel like I only dabbled but I found I could incorporate elements into my jazz playing. I always say to students that it's important to listen to music genres from other cultures and especially violin playing. Even if one does not intend to pursue them personally it brings into relief one's own cultural style and who we are. Style is a conditioned phenomena rather than something that is inherent in the intstrument and the violin is one of the most flexible of all the instruments.
October 17, 2019, 7:04 AM · https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oda9LF00pFw&list=PLCjLGgbfOxrzeitd70eJTarmgw6uHMeI-&index=5

This track of L.Shankar with Shakti changed the direction of my life!!!

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Leila Josefowicz and the Los Angeles Philharmonic
Leila Josefowicz and the Los Angeles Philharmonic

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition
Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Potter Violins

Pro-Am Strings

Violin Lab

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe