Buying antique violin - VIOLIN Antique French Violin by H DENIS

October 12, 2019, 5:36 PM · I was wondering if it is worth it to be a older violin for $2500 AUD https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/rhodes/other-musical-instruments/violin-antique-french-violin-by-h-denis/1228813800
Or is it better to just get a brand new violin?

Replies (14)

October 12, 2019, 6:09 PM · I am not certain of your present circumstances, but if you are able to play this instrument and like it, then I would recommend that you take it and pay another luthier to inspect it for problems and what it would cost to repair any problems he found. The pictures are not that clear but I see nothing glaringly wrong with this violin. The label doesn't necessarily mean a lot but there are people here like Lyndon that can tell you wherher it is French or German or Italian.
October 12, 2019, 7:04 PM · i thought you just got a new violin for 2k.

October 12, 2019, 7:06 PM · looks like a fake to me.
October 12, 2019, 11:35 PM · I got a refund for my 2k violin..
October 13, 2019, 6:29 AM · If you don't have much experience with violins, best to buy from a reputable shop that would stand behind their instruments, would allow you to try out, return, exchange and trade up when needed.
October 13, 2019, 8:21 AM · and this is AUS not USD right? if you are just looking for a reputable brand, jay haide or scott cao comes to mind.slightly out of your price range since these starts at 2400usd. but if you look for 2nd hand you can easily find some jay haide l'ancienne, keep in mind every violin is different, i played through couple jay haide that i didn't think was very good before finding one that was stellar.
October 13, 2019, 10:21 AM · https://www.simplyforstrings.com.au/products/jay-haide-lancienne-violin-guarneri-model
Edited: October 13, 2019, 10:12 PM · Given this is $2500 AUD this is not particularly expensive instrument. The label does look awfully clean for an antique instrument, so I would not put much confidence in that. Lyndon might be right. You definitely want to try before you buy. It's a nice looking instrument whatever it is.
October 13, 2019, 4:07 PM · Do the old violins sound better than new?
October 13, 2019, 5:14 PM · not necessarily, although old violin tends to be more immune to humidity and weather change. my violin was made in 2014 and the sound fluctuate a bit depending on the weather. not much but enough that i can feel the difference.

alot of these german/eastern european violins from the 1900s aren't really that great, me and my teacher tried out couple they had in the shop, a 1920 german strad copy with generic stradivarius label, and a 1910 no label, neither of us feel they are worth the price tag the shop is asking for.

not saying you won't find a great one, but chances are from what i learned so far, these 80ish years old violins from that era, if they sound really good, chances are whoever is selling would be asking for more than 3k usd.

Edited: October 13, 2019, 8:09 PM · the button on that "Denis" violin is totally wrong for French, but typical for Markneukirchen trade, and as mentioned, the label looks like it was put in yesterday
October 15, 2019, 3:19 AM · I answered your other query so won't repeat it except to say go down to Sydney string centre and try their violins. They also have fine violins in various price ranges so you can compare old and new. If you're a beginner and don't have anyone to play them for you, let them know and you in a relatively quiet time so they can help with that.
Whatever you do don't buy violins from the guy in Ryde area who snaps up all the cheap gumtree violins (esp. old ones) and stores them in a garden shed in hot summer and cold winter! He looks good on his website and on gumtree but don't encourage him to ruin good instruments by buying them.
October 15, 2019, 9:41 AM · There are better instruments out there for $2500. Keep looking and you will find the right one.
October 15, 2019, 3:52 PM · The photos seem to show just the bits that say nothing, which I do not believe is a coincidence. What I can see is a Markneukirchen trade violin, ca. 1910.Who knows, it might be good. I know a concertmaster who will only play this kind of instrument, claiming they do what they need to do and a re shrill enough to cut through the orchestra when he has a solo.
But I do not believe it is French, and the label looks way too new.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Leila Josefowicz and the Los Angeles Philharmonic
Leila Josefowicz and the Los Angeles Philharmonic

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition
Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Potter Violins

Pro-Am Strings

Violin Lab

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe