Case for Instrument fitted with a Kreddle

October 12, 2019, 4:54 PM · I have been using a Kreddle for the past few months and now cannot imagine playing without it. I've found that the best set up for me is their second tallest support.

The only downside is that it's a little too tall for the case. I can close the case with it on the violin, but it's compressing the instrument into the case's foam, and that is not something I'm prepared to accept.

My solution has thus far been to remove the Kreddle before putting it in the case and replace it when I need to play. I've scored a graticule on to the base and stem of the Kreddle so that I can precisely align them when I reassemble.

All works fine - but it is a bit of a pain.

I wondered if any other v.com readers have had the same problem and can either recommend an alternative arrangement or maybe a specific case that has enough room for me not to have to remove it every time I want to close the case?

Replies (8)

October 12, 2019, 5:15 PM · Hm. I had a similar issue with a Gewa case, but when I got my Negri case things were fine. (And later I returned to a Teka model anyway.) if it's not an expensive case, you may want to adjust the height of that cushioned thing in the lid that's holding the instrument down. Often it's not more than a piece of styrofoam covered with fabric. Easy to skin, reshape and redress.
Cotton how did you do?
Edited: October 12, 2019, 7:34 PM · I switched to a taller case ;p

If there's a cushion on the lid of the case, you can cut out the foam and glue the fabric back in to cover the hole. Otherwise, if it's not pressing too hard on the violin, it may be fine to just leave it.

October 13, 2019, 1:09 AM · Thanks for the replies - there was a lump of foam in the lid where the chin rest sits when the lid is closed, but I removed that a long time ago. Inside the case isn't styrofoam and the wall thickness of the material I'd need to cut to create a void for the chinrest isn't that great and I'm concerned about creating a weakspot in the case by doing so.

The problem is I cannot really quantify how much pressure the case is putting on the violin, so I'm not sure if it's too much or an acceptable level.

You both mentioned a taller case - could you give me some examples of which case you adopted? Thanks!

October 13, 2019, 5:58 AM · As mentioned I never had any problems with my Negri Venezia. The Gewa Air used by my son should also be big enough. With other Gewa branded cases I'd have my doubt - especially the Bio look quite flat to me, but this may be a design related optical phenomenon.

As long as the lid closes I wouldnt be too worried. The pressure mainly goes on the chin rest and chin rest clamp, not on the violin body itself.

October 13, 2019, 3:24 PM · Thanks, Nuuska - I'll look at those cases, though it's not an especially valuable instrument. Not 100% sure I agree that the pressure is inconsequential, but I'm grateful for your advice.
Edited: October 14, 2019, 4:15 AM · If you want to make sure your violin doesn't get destroyed by pressure on the lid (the case falling off a chair, someone sitting on it, etc.), you must make sure there is adequate clearance between the inside of the case and the bridge of the instrument. I saw a rare violin from 1770 crushed inside a case due to insufficient clearance, and it wasn't a pretty sight.

It's not difficult to work out how much clearance you have. First, set the violin inside the case, tie it down (if ties are present), and press it down as far as it will go comfortably. Using a pair of rulers, measure how high the lid projects upward from the edges of the case bottom. Then, measure how much space there is between the edges of the lid and the inside of the lid, where the bridge is. If there is padding there, press all the way in until you hit resistance.

Subtract the bridge projection measurement from the space measured inside the lid and you have your bridge clearance figure. If your case has a tongue-and-groove closure, take that into account accordingly. Clearance should be 10mm or more. Anything under 5mm is dangerous and can cause catastrophic damage in case of accident.

October 14, 2019, 8:41 AM · Thanks, Dimitri - I'm an engineer so I have already measured with a digital vernier the internal dimensions of my case and know that I need 3mm of additional clearance at the chinrest for the case to close without exerting force on the instrument.
October 14, 2019, 8:54 AM · Good for you, Tony. The average violinist doesn't own a digital vernier, so I tried to keep it simple! :-)

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Leila Josefowicz and the Los Angeles Philharmonic
Leila Josefowicz and the Los Angeles Philharmonic

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition
Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Potter Violins

Pro-Am Strings

Violin Lab

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe