Rhythm practise

October 12, 2019, 5:03 AM · Hello
I have been struggling to improve my rhythm recently in one of my pieces recently. I have gone out and bought a proper metronome, but I was wondering if it was more beneficial to practise with it set as a triplet (its in 9/8) so I get a beat for every note, or to practise in 3 so I have to subdivide.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks

Replies (8)

Edited: October 12, 2019, 9:05 AM · More important to learn to subdivide IMO. This is where orchestra playing helps -- often it is more rhythmically demanding. Also sight-reading baroque and early classical concerto slow movements.
Edited: October 12, 2019, 9:32 AM · You will have to learn to subdivide, but for starters I think it could help to set it for eighth notes BUT count them in your head as "one-e-and; two-e-and, three-e-and" while the metronome ticks along and you try to play with it. Then switch the metronome to counting 3 beats per measure.

Counting steadily seams to be more natural to some people than others. I played string sextets yesterday with a group of life-long amateur players (one 90 year old ex-pro), we were reading Brahms Op. 36 and the tempo seemed to keep flipping all around when some others had the steady-rhythm parts. (Of course, I was steady as a rock on viola-1!)

You gotta just "keep on trucking." A never-ending battle for many of us. The pros I've encountered seem to have solved this problem pretty much. Maybe it's just because they've played everything so many times.

To my mind how one counts in their head is their private business - as long as it works. However, how one counts with their FOOT is out there in public and if done should be done silently and kept inside the shoe or done following top-notch conducting technique so everyone who is forced to see it can benefit !!!

October 12, 2019, 9:28 AM · Paul why specifically those?
October 12, 2019, 9:30 AM · Andrew funnily enough i find my rhythm improves when I play with other people. I do so at leadt twice a year with friends. Igs only because I can rely on their rhythm. I'm trying to work on having my own pulse for what I play either solo or with others
October 12, 2019, 12:29 PM · Jake, that's fine - if their rhythm is OK. I play with other people at least 6 times a month, down from 8 or more a few yeah others ago. Most amateur players slow down when the going gets tough and speed up when things are smooth.

Best rule (only rule) when playing with others is when things get rough forget the notes and keep the pulse going. Learn to fill in the notes during private practice. You will get more music-sharing dates that way.

October 12, 2019, 1:13 PM · Well we only do it for fun and they're both better than I am haha
October 12, 2019, 3:22 PM · There is an app for this, and it's called Complete Rhythym Trainer.
October 12, 2019, 3:50 PM · Cotton thanks a lot! I'd never heard of that

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Joshua Bell and the Los Angeles Philharmonic
Joshua Bell and the Los Angeles Philharmonic

Pirastro Strings