Quick note on Guillaume rosin usage

Edited: October 11, 2019, 7:51 AM · Sorry if i reopen a discussion,

but tonight for the first time i rosined two bows with a fresh Guillaume rosin cake (in a tin box) that arrived today.
I can only say a word:
WOW !!!

I'm trying to understand if i like or not an Arcus C5 bow (not Musing) that i took home from Mondomusica in Cremona for an evaluation. It was almost never played, if not briefly in the expositions.
In 2 weeks i tried with a fresh Bernardel rosin, a Melos medium (Musing's exclusive), and an Andrea Solo. And i could not make it grip in the low strings as i'd want.

Then, enters the Guillaume, and ......... :)

So, thank to who reviewed it in this forum. I decided to test it for this reason.

Replies (6)

October 11, 2019, 5:46 PM · I’d like to try this rosin. How does it compare to the Andrea Solo?
October 11, 2019, 8:31 PM · In my opinion, using my instruments, i perceive the Andrea Solo to impart more of sound towards the higher spectrum of frequencies. Sort of more glassy sound, if you can pass the term.

The Guillaume gives me the idea (for now) to make a broader sound, more meaty.

October 14, 2019, 8:07 PM · I like it for viola. Sort of a heavier piacere sound.
Edited: October 23, 2019, 2:49 PM · To put this in perspective, I've been messing around with strings lately. On a semi-new Strad pattern (from a maker known on this board), Rondo ADG have worked quite well, with the PI Platinum E, especially since I went to DC this March and had the soundpost moved a bunch. Not my idea-- he caught it and was surprised it had wandered so much.

Anyway, I was hoping to warm up the bottom end and make it more of a chesty, wooden kind of sound. First the Oliv gold E, which did make a small difference. Then, taking a hint from Michael Darnton, I tried the Eudoxa wrapped E. Totally let the G string loosen up. The problem was that 2 of the 3 bows I have with me suddenly didn't work as well. The strings felt and sounded more gut-like, but were just a little slow to speak. The third bow, the most valuable of the lot, and always the most reliable, was the only one that cut into the strings and grabbed a fast response.

OK-- this was with the new Deja rosin from Chicago. Then I tried a new cake of Guillaume. Both of the other two bows suddenly were able to grip all strings and get a good sound quickly. And the third bow really puts some more howl into the G string. Not that it is Guarneri- or late-Strad-like. But a deeper, darker sound is much easier to get. I am guessing that this will be a good rosin to use through the drier winter weather-- strings and bow choice permitting, of course. Going to try the SuperSolos with gut A after this set has tired out!

Short answer-- no idea if Guillaume is uniquely good, but it is softer and stickier than most of what I have been using to date. And it produces good results.

October 23, 2019, 3:40 PM · Get a medium-lighr gut G if you want a "chesty" sound. Then you can keep your high-tension E. Guillaume works well with gut, too.
October 25, 2019, 6:33 AM · Actually, I did the other tack today, of loosening up the top to make the bottom work better. I ordered a complete set of Lenzner SuperSolo, and to see what might happen, replaced the Rondo A with the plain gut. So we have Rondo DG, Eudoxa wrapped E, and the gut A. HUGE step forward, I think. Will take a little getting used to, but there is much more response from the low end.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Leila Josefowicz and the Los Angeles Philharmonic
Leila Josefowicz and the Los Angeles Philharmonic

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition
Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Potter Violins

Pro-Am Strings

Violin Lab

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe