Heifetz PEG

October 9, 2019, 11:43 AM · Does anyone have personal experience with their child going to Heifetz
PEG?
What’s the range of ability (12 and under)? Did they enjoy and benefit from it?
Not finding much on the internet besides their own website.

Replies (15)

October 9, 2019, 12:38 PM · Obviously PEG is not to tighten the strings here :) - how about a little info? Maybe a link?
October 9, 2019, 12:50 PM · It is https://heifetzpeg.org

Do a search, someone that was posting here a few weeks ago went last year, maybe just starting high school now.

It is fairly close to us and I wish there was something for the kids between the PEG program age and the main program, which accepts high schoolers but posts a list of everyone who attends, and that appears to be mostly conservatory kids.

October 9, 2019, 2:03 PM · Heifetz (main program) is not exclusively Conservatory students. I'm a senior in High School and was accepted this past summer (didn't go though). I have a lot of friends around my age and a little younger who all went and really enjoyed it. Most top summer festivals that High schoolers attend are a mix of High School and College students like Bowdoin, Meadowmount, Aspen, Heifetz and Summit.
October 9, 2019, 2:10 PM · Stan, thanks for posting link. I mentioned 12 (my daughter just turned 11),
but I think the program goes to 14?
PEG (program for extremely gifted) name comes from an earlier program at college for academically gifted. Though if you look on You Tube you’ll find a couple amazing performances......
But can’t find parents or former students posting experiences.
Elise, summer program, junior version of Heifetz, which is HS early college
October 9, 2019, 2:33 PM · Hey Ben, I had to use archive.org to get the data now but I count 51 conservatory kids and 27 high school / home school kids, so about 2-to-1.
October 9, 2019, 3:11 PM · PEG is 9-13. Institute is 13-27.
October 9, 2019, 5:59 PM · PEG is now actually 9-14.

I looked at this program for my son last year (when he was 13) and decided against it. I think it is probably good for 9-12yo, but by 13 his level was just too high for the program. I thought he would find it awkward at his age and would not have a lot of same-age and same-level peers there.

Level-wise, I think it is reasonably high, but I would not call the majority of kids there extraordinarily gifted. Some of them are, but not all of them. The level is pretty wide. Most of the kids I know who have gone there are great for their age, but not necessarily amazing.

My son ended up going to Center Stage Strings, which is 12-24, and had an amazing experience. I'm happy to answer questions if you have any interest in that program.

Edited: October 10, 2019, 11:55 PM · Hi! I recently went to HeifetzPEG this summer, so seeing this discussion pop up really overwhelmed me with joy (so I must also assume that you were referencing my post that is now gone).

HeifetzPEG has recently changed their age range, so it's now from 9 to 14, like some of the previous commentors have mentioned. I would have to agree with Mrs. Agrawal -- the level is fairly high for PEG, but I wouldn't consider all of the people there exceptionally gifted. I mean, I was accepted, and I'm by no means a musical genius. There were a few people that grabbed my attention, though (Sibelius and Ysaye 6 by SoHyun, Tzigane by Fei, Vieuxtemps 5 by my roommate). A good amount of Juilliard PC kids. I only wish that I could say like Mrs. Agrawal that my level was too high to feel comfortable at Heifetz, hahaha.

But the friendships there are just something you can't find anywhere else. The people I've met are absolutely incredible, and I'll always cherish that. (Of course, I guess you can find that at another camp, though not with the same people!)

Maybe Heifetz (main program) is a different story? Lots of conservatory students and high school students who are legitimately serious about music.

October 10, 2019, 6:21 AM · So Susan and Yolanda- My daughter is not “extremely gifted”, We re trying to figure out whether an application is worthwhile, hence the post. Have seen SoHyun’s video of Zeigeunerweisen, pretty amazing.
Currently playing Mozart 5, Bach Partitas, Praeludium and Allegro.
October 10, 2019, 8:41 AM · I can tell you that the two kids I know who went to Heifetz PEG last year were a 10-year-old playing Mendelssohn, and a 13-year-old playing Vieuxtemps 5 (badly). The 10-year-old is excellent; the 13-year-old not so much.

It sounds like it might be a good fit for your 11/12 year old. It's really hard to find programs for this age group -- my son didn't end up going anywhere until 13-turning-14 for that reason. They are too young for Aspen, Bowdoin, and Meadowmount (on their own), and too young entirely for the regular Heifetz program, as well as a lot of others, like the senior divisions at Interlochen and Tanglewood.

I would check out Center Stage as well -- the 11/12-year-olds there were all Bruch level and above, though you are pretty close to that. They ranged from a low of Bruch to my son's good friend Jinan, who just won the Zhuhai International Mozart Competition. She's amazing. The level is still a bit wide; the difference is that all the kids are together in one program and you don't have the real young ones (9/10yo). The younger kids get a ton of mentorship from the older ones, which was invaluable for my son. The vast majority of kids there are 12-16 (a few still 11, and a chunk in the 17-24 range, many from Univ of Michigan). It's a really good program for that in-between 12-16 age group. Most of the kids come from Simon James' studio, Colburn Prep, or Music Inst of Chicago. http://centerstagestrings.net/

October 10, 2019, 8:56 AM · With apologies in advance to Lyndon Taylor, it's good to know which students this PEG organization is geared toward ...
October 10, 2019, 7:26 PM · Thanks, Susan! Very helpful. I had not heard of Center Stage, but will keep it in mind. On our list to consider next summer are IU Summer Strings, Greenwood, PEG among others. We don’t have a Pre-College program near us.
Eastman closest, but no violin specific program I can identify . NYC 5-6 hours.
October 10, 2019, 9:02 PM · The majority of the kids at PEG are playing pieces by composers like Mozart (3-5), Bruch, Lalo, Saint-Saens, Wieniawski, and Sarasate (with the occasional Ravel, Sibelius, or Tchaikovsky thrown in), even the 10 year olds, hahaha. Some of the younger students might be playing P&A or Accolay. Of course, when Susan and I say "exceptionally gifted", we're referring to the crazy kids who play major concertos (like Brahms) at 11. Regardless, I have no doubt your daughter is extremely gifted and hardworking and will fit right in with the kids at PEG (and make some great friendships)!

Center Stage sounds really interesting too!

October 11, 2019, 8:31 AM · Matthew, you may want to also look at Kinhaven. I always thought their program looked really well balanced. It's similar to Greenwood, which I have heard is impossible to get into, because most of the teachers fill up their studios with their own students. The Eastman summer program is only for high school. The IU program is good for younger students (under about 14) -- I've known two kids who went there recently. They said they went to a lot of concerts, but performance opportunities were limited by what teacher you were assigned to.
October 11, 2019, 9:26 PM · Thank you for sharing all the information. We are really not on a conservatory track. My daughter is too free-spirited and rebellious but she could change as she grows older (hard to imagine but not impossible). Bookmarking.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Leila Josefowicz and the Los Angeles Philharmonic
Leila Josefowicz and the Los Angeles Philharmonic

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition
Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Potter Violins

Pro-Am Strings

Violin Lab

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe