Corelli Cantiga medium or medium light?

October 8, 2019, 6:38 PM · Hello everyone! I didn't find any tension info for Cantiga so i ask anyone who has an opinion about these strings. Are the bright, warm...need extra dig in? I play now with infeld blue with goldbrokat E 27

Replies (28)

October 8, 2019, 8:07 PM · I can't reply to your exact question, but very recently in one of my luthiery violins (that i loaned ad infinitum to a friend, now) i switched from Infeld Blue strings (complete set) to a Corelli Cantiga heavy set.
After 3-4 days i put them away: in my personal experience they were the most horrible violin strings i've ever used myself. And the tension is way too high, really too much.
So, in case you want to test them, you are thinking better than what i did, if you'll go for medium or medium light tension.

In that violin, next, i put on a complete set of Vision Solo strings with silver D. The violin, after 1 day of stretching, was singing as a happy bird.... :)

October 9, 2019, 2:28 AM · The company has any info on the net about tension of these strings? On another discussion i read that medium is like high tension and probably i should go for the medium light
October 9, 2019, 3:26 AM · Seems like not many people have tried these strings, so your best bet is to email the company directly. If they have customer service, you should get a reply within a week or two.
Edited: October 9, 2019, 6:15 AM · Hello Dimitris,

you will find the data for the tension of the medium light version here
http://www.savarez.com/corelli-cantiga-medium-light-900ml-violin

and the data for the tension of the medium version here
http://www.savarez.com/corelli-cantiga-medium-900m-violin

Just click on the index "Tensions" on the right, then you will get a table with the
diameters and the tensions of all 4 strings each in 2 different units.

But beware!!
Savarez measures the tension of violin strings at a vibrating length of 13 inch
(33cm). If you want the values of the tension for the more common value of 12.8 inch (32,5cm) for the vibrating length, you have to multiply the given values in the tables with the factor 0.97 (which you can easily derive using Brook Taylor's formula for string tension).

Still beware!!
Like other major string manufacturers, savarez has increased the string tension for bowed instruments during the last 15 years. Compared to the tension strings had 15 years ago, the actual medium light tension corresponds to the former medium tension and the actual medium tension corresponds to the former high tension.
If you aim for real medium tension, you have to choose the actual medium-light version. This grading of the tension is true for most of the major manufacturers of bowed strings, not only for savarez.

I hope this answers your question.

Have a nice day!

October 9, 2019, 11:37 AM · This is my personal opinion only, but I tried these strings and agree with Marco.
The strings were dreadful, a total waste of my money. They were replaced and in the trash can in 48 hours.

October 9, 2019, 4:20 PM · Jeff , what gauge did you try? Heavy?
Edited: October 9, 2019, 4:52 PM · I tried the medium gauge. I really couldn't tolorate them at all. They were
a total waste of time and money for me. I have used Infield Blues and have been happy with them, but not as much as the Visions I normally use. They seem to last longer and work well for me. Strings are very personal and what works for some don't work for others.
October 9, 2019, 5:45 PM · I think i will test another brand... Maybe Larsen il cannone medium.
Edited: October 10, 2019, 12:17 AM · Beware of the Il Cannone Strings. I tried them and while they are very good strings they are very bright. So depending on your violin they may be too much. I switched to Vision solos and my violin is much happier now. Warm and singing (well except the E string I need to buy a new one).
October 10, 2019, 2:54 AM · I tried the cantiga when they were new. Didn't like them much. As I recall I found them to be quite harsh sounding on my instrument. Didn't waste any money, though; they send me two sets (medium and heavy) to test and included a T-shirt. ??
Edited: October 10, 2019, 5:04 AM · I noticed that Vision Solo's were mentioned a couple of times. Just to confirm....these are not the titanium solo's that were mentioned, but the 'regular' vision solo's?

I have had a slightly used set of titanium around for a while which would not work on my last 3 fiddles. I used them on a fiddle I had about 15 years ago and liked them a lot on that fiddle, but any fiddle since then could not handle them. So just this evening I put them on my new Eastman (which had Infeld Reds sans E) and yes, yes, yes The Eastman likes 'em a lot. lots of focused power now and sweet.

October 10, 2019, 6:11 AM · The strings i mentioned in my post are Vision Solo (not titanium).
Edited: October 10, 2019, 7:36 AM · As written above, what most manufacturers of bowed strings actually call medium tension was called heavy tension some years ago. Actual heavy tension is - well, some of my professional violinist companions call it "brutal". What did you expect when trying strings which are heavy or extremely heavy? They can't sing like birds. They have to be harsh!
Another thing you should direct your attention to are the E-strings used in the sets of Corelli Cantiga. For heavy and medium they use the same E-string with 18.1 lb (8.24 kp) which is quite heavy. E-strings with such a high tension have a great (and mostly negative) impact on the tuneability, the tuning stability, the playability of an instrument and often distort the tonal balance. (Just remember the optional E-string coming with the Thomastik Dominant set.) Using extreme tools will largely deliver extreme results. Choose a real medium tension together with your to go E-string and you would get quite a better impression what the strings are like.
October 10, 2019, 8:08 AM · Mr. Garcia:

i used Tonica heavy strings until very recently (they are now discontinued) and i don't perceive them as brutal and harsh.

On the contrary, the Vision Solo i'm testing now are very good, but i miss some tension.

So, absolutisms are always relatively wrong .... :)

October 10, 2019, 8:53 AM · Jose,

8.2 kp might be relatively heavy, but many highly regarded strings, e.g. the Dominant tin-plated E, and almost all of the "heavy tension" e-strings, are even higher in tension.

Also, the dreaded plain-steel Dominant E that you refer to is only 7.8 kp in medium gauge, per Thomastik.

October 10, 2019, 9:34 AM · Mr. Brancalion,
you are right, there are instruments which need the exitation of heavy strings. May I say that those instruments are a minority. I never meant to include those in what I wrote, so no offense was intented from my side. But let's have a close look at the figures: the E-strings of the heavy Tonica set have had 17.2 lb /7.8 kp (the silvery steel version) or 17.6 lb/ 8.0 kp (the alu wound version). In both cases that's cleary less than the tension of the E-string used by Corelli for the heavy and medium set. Moreover, the relation between the tension of the Tonica E's and the the tension of the rest of the Tonica strings is smaller than the same relations calculated for the Corelli set. That means the set of the Tonicas is better balanced relative to the tensions than the set of the Cantigas. Presumably that's why the Tonicas work better on your instrument. And also that's why you can't expect that the Cantigas work like the Tonicas, even if they print "heavy" or "forte" on the surrounding envelope. It's not the absolute value of the tension of each string but the relations between them. That's what you have to pay attention to.
By my own experience I can tell that Corelli stringsets sound and behave much better, when you replace the heavy E-strings by a softer string.
October 10, 2019, 9:50 AM · Jose, 7.8 kp is unusually low for a "heavy-gauge" steel E, though.

Most "heavy-gauge" steel Es, including most of Pirastro's, have tension figures in the 8-9 kp range.

October 10, 2019, 11:06 AM · Jose,

i agree with everything that you said. In fact, i was meaning to say that no absolute reasoning has a sense, seen that every brand labels "heavy" or "medium" according to their own measuring.

October 10, 2019, 12:33 PM · I also should have been more specific also regarding Visions, since there are several formulas. I personally like the Vision Titanium Solos. Regarding using different "E" strings to improve the sound of the Cantigas,,, good luck with that.
My Grandpa used to say, " You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear".
Edited: October 10, 2019, 2:26 PM · 4 Vision sets to be exact...regular Vision, Vision Solo, Vision Titanium Solo, and Vision Ochestra.

Vision titanium solo and Vision solo are both about the same higher tension

regular Vision is lower tension than the above, and Vision Orchestra is a fair bit lower tension than the other 3

October 10, 2019, 5:43 PM · Thank you all for your answers. I am looking for a set with enough complexity to the sound ,quick response, and medium tension. Maybe i want it all and this set does not exist. Blue infeld has volume ,medium tension,fast response but no complexity. I want texture to the sound but with brilliance. I do not like dark sounding violins. If i want a dark sounding violin i play viola. :)
Edited: October 10, 2019, 6:40 PM · On my instruments, medium or medium-light strings allow the wood to give more complexity and overtones. As well as forcing me to work on a more subtle bow stroke....

I use Tonica on both violin and viola.

October 10, 2019, 8:59 PM · Dimitris, based on what you wrote, I wonder if you’ve tried Dominants, Evah green or Gold, Thomastik Rondo, PI or Vision Solo, or some of the Larsen strings?
Edited: October 11, 2019, 3:24 AM · Pi or Vision Solo on my violin sounds too warm, and i don't like Pi D. (both silver or aluminum) Evah Green are too much tension. Dominants must change every month if you want perfect sound. Thomastik Rondo is an option but i must change them in my luthier ( if he has them in stock) , Larsen Virtuoso are very nice but a bit slow response. I do not tried the Evah Gold but i think is a bit expensive and don't last long
Edited: October 11, 2019, 8:15 AM · Have you tried Evah Green in light gauge, Vision Titanium Solo or Warchal Brilliant? All can work great, depending on your instrument and needs.

I haven’t tried them, but I wonder what Thomastik TI are like...

October 11, 2019, 6:09 PM · Titanium solo are great but one dimension sound. evah green light .... Hmmm i must try them. Warchal brilliant too.
October 11, 2019, 7:33 PM · Dimitris,

In fact, two Warchal strings you may consider: (1) Warchal Brilliant Vintage, balanced, brilliant, smooth, rich, complex, colorful, and low to moderate tension, (2) Warchal Ametyst, round, pliable, smooth, slightly bright and gut-like feel, with a nice combination of brilliance and mellowness.

October 12, 2019, 12:09 AM · For an instrument that doesn't like high tension, try Warchal Brilliant Vintage or Warchal Timbre. Thomastik Rondo is worth a shot too.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Joshua Bell and the Los Angeles Philharmonic
Joshua Bell and the Los Angeles Philharmonic

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings