Peak sms-20 vs Peak sms-32

October 8, 2019, 8:50 AM · The only difference between these two music stands is the sms-32 has a flat metal desk that doesn't collapse. For those who have used both, is the flat desk more stable for making notes than the collapsible sms-20? Thanks!

Peak sms20: https://www.sharmusic.com:80/Accessories/Music-Stands-Accessories/Peak-SMS-20-Music-Stand.axd

Peak sms-32: https://www.sharmusic.com:80/Accessories/Music-Stands-Accessories/Peak-SMS-32-Flat-Panel-Desk-Music-Stand.axd

Replies (4)

Edited: October 8, 2019, 9:37 AM · I have owned two MSM-20 stands but no MSM-32 stands. I notice in the SHAR listing that the MSM-20 gets more stars than the MSM-32. I would estimate that since both of these are lightweight stands they are both about equally likely to be only moderately stable for writing on. The disadvantage of the MSM-20 is that if one link of a "hinge" in thee desk breaks the whole hinge will likely begin to fail (this happened to the first one I bought - in fact the link was already broken when it arrived - the dealer replaced it and I ended up with two of them - the 2nd one never had any trouble).

I will assume that you intend to use this stand because it is "portable." I have found it useful to use a very dark and soft pencil for writing on my music and am now using a K&M (easy fold-up) wire stand (for portability) and back up all my music with black cardboard folders and have no trouble writing on it. In the small bag that came with my Petersen stand a couple of decades ago I carry this K&M, 2 stand lights, a small fold-up cushion and a clip-on-the-stand bow holder. (FINALLY A GOOD SOLUTION for me.)

At home I keep a sturdy Manhasset stand (with desk extenders) set up all the time. It is STURDY!

At one point (before getting my current K&M) I purchased a portable stand with a pretty sturdy metal tripod and a non-folding metal desk - and I bought a large bag that would hold it all - but I found it was just too awkward to carry about several times a week along with instrument(s) and other stuff for playing comfort.

October 8, 2019, 9:26 AM · I have a Peak 20 and something similar to the Peak 30, and I use my Peak 20 ALL THE TIME. I don't have any problems using it for writing notes on my sheet music. You could always buy both and return the one you do not want, Shar has a good return policy after all.
October 8, 2019, 9:39 AM · For portability, go with the SMS-20.

If you want a permanent stand for home use, buy a Manhasset. The regular one you always see around is fine, but if you want to splurge for an awesome stand, get the conductor's stand. It's wide enough to hold four pages of music (and handle massive weighty stacks of music without tipping), and has a big holder for pencils and accessories.

Edited: October 8, 2019, 10:51 AM · Awesome, thanks! I will go with the 20 I think. I use a Manhasset at home and I don't see my doing much traveling outside of practicing with my teacher's adult student ensemble in a few months and the occasional friends house.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Joshua Bell and the Los Angeles Philharmonic
Joshua Bell and the Los Angeles Philharmonic

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings