Next Concerto

October 7, 2019, 11:26 PM · I didn't want to have to make this discussion since there have been countless others, but none of them answered my question fully.

I'm in the middle of learning the Bruch Concerto and with it being october I feel it has become time to start thinking of my next piece after juries. I've been tightening loose ends on the first two movements and I'm learning the 3rd right now. I was thinking of doing either Mendelssohn since it's one of the main concertos and I need to learn it, but I also want to do the Wieniawski 2. I've done my research and have learned that some think you ought to do Wienawski 2 and Saint Saens 3 before the Mendelssohn because it'll make it easier to play. On the other hand, some have the Wieniawski, then Mendelssohn, and then saved the Saint Saens for later.

I'd just like everyones opinion so I can have some sort of idea before my professor asks. Last time he told me to pick one from the first group of concertos similar to the list of Dorothy Delay which is how I ended up with Bruch.

Replies (5)

October 8, 2019, 8:56 AM · We can tell you what the options are, but you've already listed them! Without hearing you even the pros on this site aren't going to be able to make that call for you. If you're blasting your way through Bruch then you must be getting good instruction and advice from your teacher. Might as well continue to depend on that for this decision too.
October 8, 2019, 9:42 AM · Yup. That's basically the grouping at that level. The two you haven't named are Lalo Symphonie Espagnol and Khachaturian.

From the possibilities, I'd go with the one that you're inspired to learn.

October 8, 2019, 10:16 AM · I've already done Lalo 1st, 2nd, and 4th movements. Eventually he'd like me to do the 5th, but I needed a break from Lalo after a whole year of doing it which is why I'm on Bruch right now. On the other hand, the 5th movement is quite hard so I was considering doing it later after other concertos since there was a doctorate student who played that movement (although my assumption is because she just never got around to it until then).
October 8, 2019, 11:58 AM · Yea I would do any of those that you and Lydia mentioned plus vieuxtemps 5. After Bruch I did Vieuxtemps 5, Saint Saens 3 and then Mendelssohn.
October 8, 2019, 3:59 PM · I don't think that the 5th movement is considerably harder than the other concertos at that level. It's a great competition movement.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Joshua Bell and the Los Angeles Philharmonic
Joshua Bell and the Los Angeles Philharmonic

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings