Market for used electric violin in Zurich, Switzerland?

October 7, 2019, 2:22 PM · Hello everyone,
I used to post here quite regularly until having moved to Zurich, Switzerland.

Previously, I used to play my violin in a basement parking lot of a large apartment building in Ottawa, ON, Canada where I didn't really bother anyone. I had the liberty of playing without even the mute.

Since I moved to Switzerland, I live in smaller apartment building where my violin can be heard pretty much from everywhere. I use the heavy rubber coated metal mute, but it isn't quiet enough.

I've been shopping for an electric violin for a while now. I posted a similar post here (https://www.violinist.com/discussion/thread.cfm?page=2159). Long story short I couldn't pick up the Stagg as planned.

Are there any members of the forum who are aware of a local market, or even in Germany/France that may have second hand electric violin?

Replies (7)

October 7, 2019, 3:06 PM · I don't know if an electric violin will solve your problem since you will not have the same response time, dynamics, bow contact etc. of a normal violin.

It is another animal unless you are playing for yourself, just for the of it, and not studying seriously, preparing pieces, etc.

October 7, 2019, 3:13 PM · Hello Luis,
I am aware that it is a totally different animal, but I am just an amateur hobbist who loves playing the violin. I just want to keep my fingers working since I went from ~10hours/week practice to ~1hour/month practice over the years.
October 7, 2019, 4:09 PM · Ok. With an eletric you will need, an amp, pedals, etc. Perhaps whta you need is a "silent violin", google it.
October 7, 2019, 4:35 PM · Hello Luis,
I am familiar with silent/electric violins. I did have a few of them. I don't intend to play with an amplifier.
October 8, 2019, 12:53 AM · Hi Steven, I am not familiar with markets in Switzerland, but there are a lot of e-violins in Europe. Doesn't Switzerland has a internet market place? In the Netherlands it is marktplaats.nl and you can fin e-violins there like this one https://www.marktplaats.nl/a/muziek-en-instrumenten/strijkinstrumenten-violen-en-altviolen/m1462613991-fender-fv-3-deluxe-elektrische-viool.html?c=08c285449651fa109c354bbabe740c1b&previousPage=lr

I believe in Germany these websites are a bit the same:
https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/

and: markt.de

October 8, 2019, 1:01 PM · "I live in smaller apartment building where my violin can be heard pretty much from everywhere. I use the heavy rubber coated metal mute, but it isn't quiet enough."

This problem changed into a proposed solution - using an electric violin, which in turn has several problems of its own, including pricing and availability. But I'm questioning whether the proposed solution is going to be worth it with respect to the original problem.

One obviously simpler solution would be to use a heavier mute - a plain metal one. Perhaps less obvious solutions would be to address sound transfer from the apartment to others, especially including door gaps, but also potentially considering things such as talking to neighbours to find out how much they are bothered by it and at what times, etc.

Getting an electric/silent is logical in that the base sound of an electric will be less than that of an acoustic, obviously and by design as well, but it has its own set of very large problems. The first is that there's on universal standard in shape and fit, etc., so there's a very good chance that the fit won't be transferable, and the learning therefore as directly transferable, and it might also introduce a new set of problems in that regard. The second is that sound levels of electrics are also variable, and in general probably comparable to a (heavily) muted acoustic. And if you're going to mute the electric in addition, that means now a teeny-tiny sound out an instrument, less audible/usable information about harmonics and resonance, and further reduced string vibration / response, therefore even more distance in learning and experience.

Addressing the room/neighbour acoustic/time issues and using a heavier mute if required would be my suggestions instead.

October 9, 2019, 7:39 AM · I can vouch for my Yamaha electric, ( same as Laurie’s ) as excellent for very quiet practice. No mute is necessary, but you can hear it clearly when playing it without amplification.
Far quieter than a muted acoustic.
The strings resonate as well as my acoustic.
However I suspect it is more forgiving than an acoustic, so you wouldn’t want to play on just that.
I find it excellent for when I want to practice at odd hours of the night, which is quite often.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Joshua Bell and the Los Angeles Philharmonic
Joshua Bell and the Los Angeles Philharmonic

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings