violin string tensions

October 6, 2019, 7:31 PM · i'm trying to replace my current strings which are almost 2 years old. and i would like to get the lowest tension strings as possible.

i'm trying to read this chart, the site states its placed from highest to lowest. yet the chart contradicts that since it seems to me the lowest tensions per lbs is placed top. or am i just reading it wrong.

https://www.violinstringreview.com/tension-chart.html

Replies (13)

Edited: October 6, 2019, 8:01 PM · Low-tension (Weich) Dominants are pretty much the lowest tension strings I know of. However, knowing that you can use the published (online) charts of violin string tensions the see what strings might now be even lower.
October 6, 2019, 8:02 PM · thanks andrew, so the dominants are among the low tension strings is that correct?
October 6, 2019, 8:25 PM · The brands with a shorter bar on the graph are lighter strings.
Just read the numbers.
October 6, 2019, 8:32 PM · lighter = lower tension?

thats what i'm thinking, but the site refer the chart as "Strings are arranged from highest tension to lowest (in lbs.). "

Edited: October 7, 2019, 8:28 AM · Kyle, Dominant strings and many others come in various tensions.
Three are typical of many composite strings, light (or low or weak or Weich), medium (or middle or Mittel) and strong (or heavy or Stark).
I meant the Weich Dominants, not the medium which are more commonly bought.
October 7, 2019, 1:10 AM · Curious. I put some Helicores on a cheap fiddle, but didn't notice the increased tension over Dominants on a better fiddle. I must bear it in mind next time I compare them. Otoh, it's only a small percentage.
October 7, 2019, 8:29 AM · Why are you looking for lowest possible tension ever?
October 7, 2019, 9:26 AM · Some instruments need low tension strings for some or all strings for overall improvement or to better balance tone or volume of all the strings. Some don't.

I happen to have one viola that works best with low tension A and C strings (after 23 years) --- and one one that works well (so far - after 45 years) with any strings, just never quite as well as the other (when optimized) - just as I have two violins that are at their very best with Warchal Timbre strings and two that are not.

Edited: October 7, 2019, 10:22 AM · hello Bohdan, i find my E and A too harsh/loud for private practice, i have the same string on another violin and do not get the same complaint. i guess the best way to describe it as i can feel my ear gets fatigued after playing repertoires that involves alot of high notes.

sorry victor i completely forgot what weich meant. my fault haha. i want to keep it to medium so i guess my question is what is the lowest tension for medium.

Edited: October 7, 2019, 10:54 AM · Why would you want to keep it to medium?
October 7, 2019, 12:54 PM · i honestly don't know, maybe because i always used medium, i never tried light or weich strings before. i guess i'm trying to stick to what i'm used to.
October 7, 2019, 2:14 PM · Just buy regular dominants.

Put a musician's earplug (like Ear Peace) to prevent ear fatigue. Don't castrate your violin's sound just because it's loud. Loud is good. Instead, block that sound from your own ears. I typically only put one earplug in my left ear.

Edited: October 12, 2019, 7:33 PM · i think i'll get earplug, just downloaded a decibel app and i'm getting 92db on the e string and 91-93db on chords.

tried it on my cheapo chinese violin and its not exceeding 86

do you recommend the ear peace?

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Joshua Bell and the Los Angeles Philharmonic
Joshua Bell and the Los Angeles Philharmonic