Infeld Reds - Pirastro Perpetual

Edited: October 5, 2019, 10:40 PM · I have Perpetuals on one of my violins, and I like them. About a year ago I backed over my busking fiddle (splinters) and I've gone thru 3 fiddles trying to find one that I was happy with. Recently got a good Eastman that I like. It came with Infeld Reds (unlikely as that may seem?) but I really couldn't find anything wrong with the sound and playability with the Reds. with the Reds the fiddle sounds warm to medium warm, quite open, but still nicely focused, all of which I like. Although it did have a Eudoxa E which I switched out for a D'Addario Prelude E. I've always thought those cheap Prelude E's are a great string...warm, good volume, clear, play nicely, and I like the medium tension. I've used Prelude E's on many of my fiddles over the years. The Prelude E focused the Reds much better than the Eudoxa E.

maybe someday I'll try Perpetuals on this Eastman, but as they say...If it aint broke, don't fix it. and at $145.00 a set here in Calgary Alberta for Perpetuals (which includes the $22.00 Platinum coated E) I'm gonna stay with the Infeld Reds at least until they're dead as door nails.

So.... I'd very much like opinions on either or both these sets.

Replies (7)

Edited: October 6, 2019, 10:32 AM · I have not used Perpetuals, thus, would not be able to comment. However, I do like Infeld Reds. Recently, I just changed from Obligatos to Infeld Reds on one instrument, which is neutral (slightly leaning towards to bright side) sounding. Compared to Obligatos, they appear to be mellower, sweeter, clearer, and more direct, yet still powerful, possibly not as warm, rich or complex as Obligatos.

Infeld Red is in the second group of the strings I prefer to use. BTW, Passione, Vision Solo, and EP are in the first group.

Edited: October 6, 2019, 3:50 PM · Zhi-Yi-Zhang: Thank you for the input. Makes me feel better to know that I'm not completely alone with the Reds. I think that is a good assessment of Reds compared to Obligatos, although I've never been a fan of Obligatos.
I think many dealers, and players for that matter, might find that the Reds may be a viable option for Obligatos.

as for your 1st group preferences, I used Vision Solo for quite a while on a previous fiddle and they worked well, but they've always been just 'too much' for any fiddle I've had since. EP's have always been too much for me, and I could never get used to the feel of Passione.

but I'm not classically trained and only have student quality violins. I'm pretty sure that has bearing on what strings that both me and my fiddles can or cannot 'handle'.

Thanks again for the reply.

Edited: October 7, 2019, 7:07 AM · I bought Infeld Reds many, many years ago as part of the Blue/Red 2-sets--for-the-price-of-one deal when they were first sold. The idea was that one could mix the strings to optimize for one's fiddle. and I did mix. I think that was over 30 years ago.
October 7, 2019, 6:22 PM · I think the Infeld Reds/Blues came out around 2000.

They can both work wonderfully. Depends on the instrument.

October 8, 2019, 6:46 AM · ....I tried a blue G on the Eastman when it still had the Eudoxa E, looking for a bit more focus. When I went to the Prelude E, I also went back to the Red G. The Prelude E with the G,D,A Reds was the best.

most of us have tried a bunch of different E's on a bunch of different fiddles, but maybe not so much the lowly $4.50 Prelude. If any one is looking for a non-shrill, good volume, clear, decently thick gauge, feels good E...try one. You don't have much to lose!

Edited: October 8, 2019, 8:40 PM · E strings, like all the other strings, are highly individual instrument-dependent.

That said, if seek quality on budget, I don't think any E could be on a par with Goldbrokat E (stark).

If only pursue tonal quality, I would choose Larsens, e.g., Larsen Tzigane E (stark) on the majority, and gold Larsen E (medium) on the better few.

Occasionally, I also use wound Es. For instance, an old Fussen, one of my good instruments, is strung with Pirastro Universal No.1 E (medium), while a Juzek MA strung with Eudoxa E (stark). No.1 and Eudoxa E are quite different, the former is singing, sweet, and round, while the later brilliant and powerful. The Fussen is buttery, mellow, and sweet, while the Juzek MA is balanced, textured, and warm, but not powerful enough to my taste. I think the differences between two wound Es are complementary to the characters of the instruments. No.1 enhanced the sweetness of the Fussen; Eudoxa expanded the power of Juzek MA.

October 8, 2019, 9:49 PM · I've never ventured into the realm of light and heavy strings. I'm sure the myriad permutations of light medium and heavy would drive me batty, not to mention breaking the bank.

but as this thread is Infeld Reds - Pirastro Perpetual...I just now switched the Red D on this Eastman for a Perpetual D as I thought the D could use some brightening. The advertising hype for perpetual says 'tremedously warm' (still trying to figure out the use of that adjective with the word warm) Perpetual are warm, but not as warm as Reds. Pretty sure a full set of perpetual would be too bright for this fiddle. but the perpetual D seems to be working better, and will prolly cut through and give a better sound from a bit of a distance.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Joshua Bell and the Los Angeles Philharmonic
Joshua Bell and the Los Angeles Philharmonic

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings