Evah Pirazzi Gold vs. Evah Pirazzi (green)

October 5, 2019, 11:03 AM · I was very excited when started to use Evah Pirazzi Gold (EPG) with the silver G. However, after played on three different instruments, including one of my best for 2 years, I would think these strings didn't meet my expectation. I would describe them as very brilliant if not radiant, very bright (brighter than the original Evah Pirazzi (EP)), loud, and powerful, but somewhat insufficient of depth, complexity, texture, and color as compared to EP; IOW, they are simply very soloistic, but "processed" in the same time. I went back to the original EP, and prefer EP much more than EPG.

Would this just my experience as I constantly read the revel reviews on EPG? That said, I did understand that different strings suit different instruments and players.

Replies (11)

October 5, 2019, 11:09 AM · Thats what I would say. Your instrument just prefers the normal Evah's. Nothing wrong with that at all
October 5, 2019, 12:28 PM · I found the EP Gold strings (A, D & G) to be probably the best strings ever on my 4 differently "voiced" violins, but I must add that this was with Peter Infeld platinum-plated E strings. I've had one of the violins for only 20 years, but the others for 60 and 70 - so they wore lots of other brands before EPGs came along.

But that's just mine AND me! The hearer's ears also make a difference.

October 5, 2019, 12:33 PM · Several people have noted that although the regular Evahs sound fantastic when you first put them on, they seem to fade rather quickly to sound only ordinary. The Golds are not quite as powerful but they are warmer and they seem to last for ages.
October 5, 2019, 12:36 PM · The Golds on my viola are still going after almost a year
October 5, 2019, 1:25 PM · I envy you Jake! My "better" viola could not tolerate the EP Golds, especially the C string. I had to go with low tension Dominant C and A (Weich and Pirastro Permanent D & G.

My other viola loves the EP Golds rejected by viola #1 - lucky me!

October 5, 2019, 1:39 PM · Though in fairness they have been dying recently. Funnily enough I have some normal EP to put on them, but am kinda afraid as I don't know how they'll sound
October 5, 2019, 1:46 PM · Well if its like on a violin then - loud! Which is why Evahs are commonly the string of choice at dealers ;)
October 5, 2019, 5:44 PM · EP Golds are a warmer, more complex-sounding string, which essentially means better projection than the EPs. The regular EPs can seem very loud under the ear, though.

Both EPs and EPGs are brutally short-lived strings. EPGs can sound okay for many months, but if you compare them against brand-new EPGs, the tonal drop-off is very sharp by the time 3 months or so have passed.

Violin shops tend to favor EPGs and PIs... but you'll see more and more Rondos on really high-end violins that don't need to be overdriven by high-tension strings.

Edited: October 5, 2019, 7:33 PM · It appears that I am an outlier. I am just wondering that no one went through the path from EP to EPG, and then back to EP, like me?

Once again, this topic is open-ended. Now for self-enjoyment, I prefer Passione, Vision Solo, and EP, chosen depending on the characteristics of each instrument.

October 5, 2019, 7:54 PM · I see a lot of green EPs on workshop violins in my area -- the instruments used by intermediate-level students, and many adult amateurs.

The pros usually pick EPGs over EPs.

October 5, 2019, 7:54 PM · I see a lot of green EPs on workshop violins in my area -- the instruments used by intermediate-level students, and many adult amateurs.

The pros usually pick EPGs over EPs.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Joshua Bell and the Los Angeles Philharmonic
Joshua Bell and the Los Angeles Philharmonic

Pirastro Strings