Sonatas

Edited: October 3, 2019, 3:07 PM · Hello ,
In my next concert , I've to play sonatas .
(I'm a student in 6th violin grade)
I've play Schubert sonatinas n°1 & 2 and Vivaldi 's RV 12 sonata
I think I'll play Schubert's third sonatina but I'm hesitating between playing these:
Beethoven's spring sonata
Beethoven'sonata n°8
Brahms sonata 2(+scherzo WoO 2)
Brahms sonata 3
Beethoven ' sonata n° 4?
Harder there is Kreutzer sonata(which I think is a bit top hard)
Well I'm hesitating between these(I've played Schubert' trio n°2 's andante;and have play the second allemanda from Bach)
I have almost no problems with musicality and positions.I have problems with rythms and speed!
Practicing...

Replies (14)

October 3, 2019, 4:48 PM · Mozart K304.
October 3, 2019, 5:28 PM · Paul suggestion is a good one.
October 3, 2019, 7:47 PM · Brahms 3 since you "have almost no problems with musicality and positions"
October 3, 2019, 8:21 PM · I would hold off on Brahms. No. 3 is the easiest I think but all of them are an ordeal. I think the Schubert sonatina and the Mozart k304 are great ideas. Beethoven spring sonata is also doable and you might want to considerI the Bach violin and piano sonatas.
October 3, 2019, 8:23 PM · @Ben why do you say they are an ordeal?
October 3, 2019, 8:57 PM · Ordeal or not, I agree with Ben: Leave Brahms alone. They are not only hard, they are even harder for the pianist. None of them is "the easiest" and which one is the least difficult is a matter of opinion--I have heard all three named as the least difficult (my own choice would be number 2).

Beethoven is another matter. Keep in mind that the spring and the Kreutzer are very well known--I am not sure if this works out to your advantage or the other way around. Also no. 4 is not much longer than 10 minutes; the spring is more than 20. Personally I would prefer no. 8 (G-Major, right?): Not often performed and an awful lot of fun, especially the third movement.

I can't help adding a little nitpickery here: If you have problems with rhythm you have problems with musicality.

Edited: October 3, 2019, 9:05 PM · I agree with Albrecht about rhythm. Other violinists hear flaws in your intonation. Everyone hears flaws in rhythm. The precision required for clean ensemble in Mozart, because it is so exposed, is partly why I recommended the K304. Regarding the length of the pieces, my own feeling is that classical-period sonatas can be shortened by judicious exclusion of repeats. For a competition that may be unwise, but for a youth recital I think it's maybe even preferable.
October 3, 2019, 11:42 PM · Thann you for your answers.
I will listen to Mozart k 304
October 4, 2019, 8:52 AM · Listening is fine and wholesome. Just remember it's harder to play Mozart than it sounds.
October 4, 2019, 10:02 AM · K 304: Don't stop after the first movement, the second could be argued to be even better and brings in a theme that is gorgeous, to my mind, presages minimalism.
October 4, 2019, 4:53 PM · Better yet, you can download the MuseScore file for K304 from violinworker here. Turn off the violin track, and you can practice the whole piece with the piano part:

https://musescore.com/user/30892962/scores/5602811

October 5, 2019, 10:21 PM · Yep, marginally more fun than practicing with a metronome. :)
October 6, 2019, 2:27 AM · @Paul. Yes, I have an electric piano with a memory, and I've recorded accompaniments on it, but it's horrible playing along with them, either on the violin or piano duets.
October 6, 2019, 7:12 AM · It really teaches you wrong because you have to focus on staying with the piano all the time whereas performing there should be a give and take, a dynamic interaction, with perhaps more give by the piano ;)

I practiced with music minus one when I was preparing the Beethoven romance in F - it was disasterous because I had not noticed that the MM1 had crazy changes in tempo (Beethoven must have been drunk when he wrote the orchestra parts so these are often speeded up) - which I expected from our orchestra.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Joshua Bell and the Los Angeles Philharmonic
Joshua Bell and the Los Angeles Philharmonic

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings