G string recommendations

Edited: October 3, 2019, 2:38 PM · I am looking for a new brand of G string. My violin is relatively bright and resonates quite well, so my other strings are Goldbrokat E, and Dominants for A and D. Thus far, I have tried using Vision and Obligato G's. The former gives me the power and response I want, but the tone is a bit too bright, and it makes the rest of fiddle too rich in overtones (the E string produces a less meaty sound with the Vision G bc the fundamental gets lost). The Obligato G gives me the depth and complexity I want and takes away some of the excessive overtones from the higher strings. However, the response is an issue - I have to work way too hard to get a tone with core for short notes and long notes (like the opening of Tzigane) force me to almost press to get the volume I want. Do any of you know of a string that might help me out (i.e. give me the power and responsiveness I want while not sacrificing warmth depth and complexity)? Thanks for your advice. I am going to a luthier tomorrow and will ask his opinion as well.

Replies (8)

October 3, 2019, 2:45 PM · I highly recommend trying Pirastro Oliv (rigid) G.
October 3, 2019, 3:13 PM · Another to consider is the Warchal Amber G which seems to me to have the attributes you are looking for, as well as being very stable and long-lasting.
October 3, 2019, 3:18 PM · Try pirastro violino.
October 3, 2019, 5:31 PM · Aquila medium wound gut G, or a heavy Gamut Academie G.
October 3, 2019, 6:17 PM · Oliv rigid G! It may seem expensive, but it lasts a long time and it will give you all the complexity you want.
October 3, 2019, 6:23 PM · This sounds like it's an adjustment balance issue to some degree.
October 3, 2019, 6:40 PM · What was wrong with the Dominant G?
Edited: October 3, 2019, 8:48 PM · It could be a problem of G string tension.
You can do a preliminary test by lowering and/or raising the pitch of the open G a half step. If either of these helps you would probably benefit by a lower or higher tension string, depending on which way it goes.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Joshua Bell and the Los Angeles Philharmonic
Joshua Bell and the Los Angeles Philharmonic

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings