Repertoire suggestion

October 2, 2019, 6:06 PM · Hello, i'm a 16 years aged violinist, and i would like to ask for next repertoire or what do you think i could play.
In the standard repertoire, i played 3 corelli' sonatas and La Follia by him, the latter 2 telemann fantasies, vivaldi's spring, the Bach's partita no.2 (the chaconne was hell), the mozart concerto no3 (franko cadenzas), monti's czardas, accolay no1, de beriot scene de ballet, ten have allegro brilliante. in etudes i already did 1/4 of kreutzer etudes, and i'm currently working on bach partita no3 and mozart no5. (joachim cadenzas). My teacher suggested me to work in some sonatas (like brahms' or franck's, i don't know) and she also suggested the 7th of beethoven but we can't find a pianist that can play it, so, for now is discarded. I was thinking of some virtuoso piece/showpiece to learn, and i was wondering if there could be a next more lenghty concerto that i could play too.
As always, thank you very much, and i hope you can understand my bad english

Replies (25)

October 2, 2019, 6:40 PM · Play the Lalo.
October 2, 2019, 6:56 PM · Do you think i am ready? Also, it's at the same level as the Bruch's, right?
Edited: October 2, 2019, 7:33 PM · It’s about the same level as the Bruch. I think you’re ready if your scales and arpeggios are solid. Take a look at the first page - scales and arpeggios basically. I think it gives you something that’s virtuosic too.
Edited: October 2, 2019, 7:40 PM · Well it depends how well you played your Mozart. We don't know that.

My suggestion is Kabelevsky C Major and then at least the first movement of Bruch. I think most students do Bruch before Lalo. A couple of other interesting choices are Viotti No. 22 and Spohr No. 2. These are not super long pieces but they've got good musical themes and useful for building technique.

Sonatas are great, yes, but you correctly identified the problem: You need a great pianist who has both skill and time. If you are building your skill, you can do that with concerto repertoire, solo Bach, salon pieces (show-pieces), and studies. If you want to improve your ensemble playing then I think you could do that with Mozart sonatas, which are a LOT easier for the pianist than Beethoven or Franck.

Doing the Chacconne at the Mozart level is craziness. Well, you can do it again when you're ready and it'll be more fun then. :)

October 2, 2019, 7:57 PM · Thanks for the advice, i didn't mean to say that i didn't enjoy playing the chaconne, but it was a hell for study but now for performing is great (although, i don't think my endurance is in shape because i can play the whole partita in like 25-30min and i feel very tired and sore after, and my posture isn't bad and i'm fit but i don't know
October 2, 2019, 7:57 PM · Thanks for the advice, i didn't mean to say that i didn't enjoy playing the chaconne, but it was a hell for study but now for performing is great (although, i don't think my endurance is in shape because i can play the whole partita in like 25-30min and i feel very tired and sore after, and my posture isn't bad and i'm fit but i don't know
October 2, 2019, 7:59 PM · I think i'm covering the fields you mentioned, but i'm missing some showpiece, do you know some that i could work on?
October 2, 2019, 8:09 PM · I am alarmed to see Chaconne mixed in with the rest of your list.

Romanza Andaluza by Sarasate is a fun piece to play and I often give it to students at your level.

October 2, 2019, 8:21 PM · Is the chaconne too far from my level? after the 4 first movements of the partita, the Chaconne was hard, but it wasn't too far apart from the music language from the others. The only parts that gave (and still give me) real problems are the first arpeggios that change the bowing in the middle of the chords, and later the double stops in bariolage with the A open chord near the end. But i don't know.
Thanks again, i'll give some try to Lalo and the Romanza
October 2, 2019, 10:04 PM · The Chaconne is many levels above the rest of the d minor partita in difficulty and in musical complexity. It's a piece to be played when one is able to play Tchaikovsky concerto, in my opinion.
Edited: October 2, 2019, 10:22 PM · I'd recommend Bruch, Lalo Wieniawski no.2, Saint Saëns 3, Conus or Viotti 22. For small shorter pieces the beethoven romances, t, Wieniawski Scherzo Tarantelle or legende, the Vitali Chaconne, Or some Kreisler pieces (specifically i'd recommend Preludium and Allegro or Variations on a theme of Corelli) would work well.
October 3, 2019, 10:56 AM · Thanks again, yesterday i tried to play all the pieces you mentioned, and in sightreading i found the viotti 22 and spohr 2 nice but i could play them entirely with only one reading.
The bruch's and lalo seem fitting, maybe i could do at least the first movement, they're hard, but not too hard so i can work on these in 1 or 2 weeks; the kavalebsky one is great and i didn't find any difficulties so i think its fine. The vitali chaconne after doing the Bach Chaconne is a breeze but i like the harmony. I think i'm far from doing the Scherzo Tarantelle or the wieniawksi 2. The Romanza i think is doable, but i need to polish more my double stops to play it, i think. Kreisler is good musically but technically i don't think it will give me something worthy
October 3, 2019, 12:26 PM · Santiago, it sounds like you may be neglecting your etudes in favor of plowing through a lot of repertoire. If I were you, I would use more of my practice time to move through the Kreutzer etudes. You may be playing these advanced pieces very well, but I have a hunch that you may be sacrificing a lot of quality in your playing and just kind of playing the notes.

It's nice that you are so enthusiastic about trying so many different things, but what does your practice regime look like? Are you playing scales and arpeggios regularly, as well as scales in double stops. I'm only saying this because I used to try and play through a lot of repertoire that I really wasn't ready for, and I think it ended up being a waste of my time. I would leave stuff like the Beethoven 7th sonata until I had a more polished technique.

If you are able to practice your scales and arpeggios as well as etudes every day, then I would see what time you have left over after that for repertoire (it's still important to play repertoire), instead of playing a bunch of repertoire and then seeing if you have time left over for scales and etudes.

October 3, 2019, 12:43 PM · If you're sightreading through Viotti 22 and Spohr No. 2 (complete with a few runs of tenths) then you're ready for Bruch. I agree with Christian that you should be securing your technique with heavy attention to studies including Kreutzer but then Rode and eventually Dont Op. 35. They will really develop your facility.

Kreisler P&A is a good piece for bowing, double-stops, and fast/high passage work. Just because it seems you could learn it in a few weeks doesn't mean it won't be worthwhile.

For showpieces, there is a nice album of Oistrakh playing Tchaikovsky pieces -- Melancholic Serenade and such. These are very worthwhile in my opinion, and some of them are quite difficult.

October 3, 2019, 1:06 PM · Thanks, i'll give a try to the tchaikovky's. My practice regime looks like: i play like 2 or 3 kreutzer arpeggi studes, and then i play 6 scales and arpeggios from flesch, in minor and major: G,A,D,C,E and B. I play them in 3 octaves, in thirds, sixths, octaves and tenths, and 1 octave in g string. I also play or the 3rd Vieuxtemps etude du concert, or Enrico Polo' double stops etudes, depends on the day. I'm currently working on better intonation. That's at the start of the day, maybe i do 3 scales on a day and the other 3 the next day, depends on how many time do i get. Then, i do some improvisation and i start re-viewing the mozart 5th 1rst movement and the cadenza, and the bachs partita 3 That's by now. Some days i did the Flesch etude book, and i think it has some of Dont and Rode etudes, but i'll improve in that field if you suggest it.
October 3, 2019, 2:26 PM · Santiago, if I may ask, why do you do three (or even six?) Flesch scales per day? Why not focus on a single scale each day? Surely getting all the variations you mention in tune and in tempo is work enough for a single scale, right? Or are you so advanced already that you can breeze in an hour through six Flesch scale systems, in tempo and in tune with good tone? Also puzzled, why does your teacher not suggest you get started on Bruch?
October 3, 2019, 2:28 PM · It sounds like you must be putting a lot of practice time in, given the things you have mentioned, and it sounds like a solid practice regime. I would try and move through the Kreutzer and make progress on etudes, but otherwise it sounds like you are doing good work. I think the order of some of the repertoire you have mentioned is a little strange, as was pointed out with the Chaconne, but you may want to find a balance of pieces with technical challenges. The Praeludium and Allegro has a number of important technical challenges, and stuff like the Serenade Melancholique and other lyrically oriented pieces like the Vocalise can give you a balance of challenging other aspects of your musicality and technique.

I'm curious about your teacher's approach to assigning pieces and etudes, but it sounds like you are enthusiastic and talented.

October 3, 2019, 10:30 PM · Jean, i don't know. I don't have the time i would like to have with my teacher (i'm in music uni so i can't have 1 hour or more with she). I think my actual teacher really likes Baroque music, and she doesn't make me play it "HIP" so it's good but i think that's why i did the Chaconne so early. Literally 2 years ago i had trouble with my then teacher so i moved with she. The pieces that she gave me were, in order: corelli sonata 8, then the 9th, then vivaldi spring, then the 3 last telemann sonatas, then the Mozart concerto3, then the partita2 and now the partita 3 and the mozart 5. I think she may give me next more baroque music, or not and she the next class announces i'll be playing bruch's. The other pieces i learned by myself (doesn't mean i haven't studied them deeply enough).
October 3, 2019, 10:35 PM · I do six when i'm worried about my intonation, which is now. I think with G, A and E its enough for daily, or maybe more. But i need to say that i do the variations but i don't really do them with different bow slurs or groupings, i think that's why i can do them in like 45 mins rough.
And yes, i don't have so much time to study (i spend 14 weekly hours in music uni, and 30 in high school) and also i play piano and guitar so i can play like 3,5hs every day split in them (mostly violin). But after all, for now i don't need life, i have a girlfriend and i'm happy, sometimes is tiring but for now i'm young.
October 4, 2019, 7:43 AM · Santiago, would it be possible for you to upload a recording of you playing, say, Mozart 5? So that we at least have a rough gauge at the standard of your playing
October 4, 2019, 11:41 AM · I could upload a recording of me playing the Chaconne, because the mozart 5 is too long and i don't think i could have enough space in my cellphone to record it, but i think yes
October 4, 2019, 11:42 AM · Also, i'm still polishing a bit the mozart5
October 5, 2019, 12:09 AM · @Santiago isn't the chaconne way longer than the Mozart though? And also it doesn't have to be the whole movement. Even the exposition alone will do
October 5, 2019, 12:48 AM · I'm not really sure on recording the mozart, because i'm worried about my intonation for now and i don't think it's ready for recording, but i don't know
October 5, 2019, 1:15 AM · If you want it, i'll record the expo tomorrow, but i'm not too comfortable with it

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Joshua Bell and the Los Angeles Philharmonic
Joshua Bell and the Los Angeles Philharmonic

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings