Mozart 3

Edited: September 24, 2019, 3:13 PM · Hello,
I'm a violin student since 2013(6 year) and I'm currently preparing Mozart 3 (KV 216) for a concert
I arrive to play the second mov in two weeks of hard working(1h30 per scool days and 2-5 hours for wednesday , saturday and Sunday)
I arrived to play the rondo(3 mov) in one month(with difficulty on fast passage the first two weeks)
But here's my question:
Is it normal that I work the first movement during three months and that I play it perfectly EXCEPT these measures;:
71-72(if think in two days It'll be perfect)
186-190(which for the moment needs a lot of work)
How do you pass these measures without problemes(I've Henle Verlag edition son I have their fingerings and bowing)
What cadenza is the easiest?(there is one in the Henle Verlag but I personally don't like it)
Waiting for your answers
Practicing...

Replies (3)

September 24, 2019, 5:09 PM · The most popular cadenza is probably the one by Sam Franko because it's not super hard. Josh Bell wrote a nice one (on his album of course). There is one by Flesch which is harder than the Franko. Oistrakh, Totenberg, Francescatti -- there must be dozens of cadenzas available for this concerto.
Edited: September 24, 2019, 7:09 PM · Those are tough measures. They involve a lot of repetition and slow practice to get nice, at least with me. I found learning them in smaller bites helped. Have you considered writing your own cadenzas?
Edited: September 24, 2019, 9:59 PM · For those passages maybe think a little about the fingerings? The fingerings that I have at bar 186 in the Franko edition (Schirmer) are fine. Remain in third position until the second beat of 187. Catch the F# and D at the end of 186 with 1-0 just by reaching back with your first finger. In 187 catch the first two D's with 4(0)-0 then play in first position and shift back into 3rd position on the F# using the open A to give you time to shift. In 71-72 I think you just have to dog it out in first position. Starting with 3 on the A and shifting back to 2 on the C# is an alternative but you're trading the string crossing for other insecurities (intonation in 2nd position and another shift). Practicing those bars in various rhythmic groupings will likely help.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Joshua Bell and the Los Angeles Philharmonic
Joshua Bell and the Los Angeles Philharmonic

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings