Julian Rachlin & the Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra

Edited: September 23, 2019, 4:25 AM · Much earlier this year some of you helped me settle on which tickets to settle on for the 2019-2020 season of the Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra. They are able to attract very good soloists and have a robust program in general.

This weekend they started with the Overture to Orpheus in the Underworld (which wasn't even in the original program), then to the Mendelssohn, and after the intermission, Pictures from an Exhibition. It was just wonderful!

Julian Rachlin was the soloist for the Mendelssohn and I was really taken by his interpretation and playing style. I've not seen many international violinists in person so it's hard to say how his style may differ. His playing was very intense and physically expressive - at one point he appeared to kiss his violin when the orchestra was playing and he was not. Very dynamic playing style!

I've no idea what his encore was - he did not speak at all - but it was slow and sweet and was a good follow-up to the Mendelssohn. I loved it and would love to find out what it was, assuming it wasn't one of his compositions - apparently he is also a composer and conductor. It did sound somewhat familiar, I will recognize it if I hear it again. I wondered at the time if he spoke English as there was some communication with the conductor before his encore that seemed universal sign language - after several standing ovations with conductor mimicked playing a violin to him right before his encore, and he did not speak at all. Of course that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

In about 4 weeks it's Richard Lin (2018 Indianapolis winner) playing Concerto in D Major, OP. 77 by Brahmns, the rest of the program has Janacek (Taras Bulba), and Dvorak (Slavonic Dances).

Replies (8)

September 23, 2019, 9:36 AM · I bet it was Ysaye...Malinconia from the second sonata.
September 23, 2019, 9:42 AM · I think that is the piece! Just beautiful, but how did you know?
Edited: September 26, 2019, 11:53 AM · Mr. Rachlin is a fantastic viola player (and viola test driver) too!
September 26, 2019, 11:57 AM · I've found something on YouTube with him playing the viola in a violin/violadiet, very nice! I really enjoyed his work with the violin the other night, perhaps someday I can hear him play the viola live as well.
Edited: September 26, 2019, 1:26 PM · Mr. Manfio will be very interested in this viola diet you're mentioning!

Viola for breakfast, for lunch and dinner, something like that?

September 26, 2019, 1:37 PM · Hi Herman West! Sorry, I was trying to say that he is very good at testing violas and giving his opinion about that. But a viola diet is nice!!!
Edited: September 26, 2019, 1:53 PM · Hahaha, my phone was helping me and I didn't catch that. Normally I would edit that but it would now perplex folks so I will leave it :) Of course I meant a duet.

September 26, 2019, 2:20 PM · Mr. Rachlin is a gentleman. He wrote to me just after we met here for a viola test drive session.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Joshua Bell and the Los Angeles Philharmonic
Joshua Bell and the Los Angeles Philharmonic

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings