does this look like a crack, or scratch on tailpiece

Edited: September 17, 2019, 8:07 AM · https://imgur.com/a/OeRT9IX
https://imgur.com/a/hdd3VyO

ay i just can't get a day off from this violin.

while tuning up the strings i heard some pop. i inspect and thought nothing of it since i'm always careful and slow with this process and just tuning the strings. but afterwards i noticed my G is buzzier than it was before. i tried narrowing down by clamping down around the violin with my hand to check any open seams. tapping near the bassbar, went up and down the fretboard to see if its a fretbuzz. moved the chinrest a lil so nothing is touching the tailpiece,

then i sneaked a photo underneath the tailpiece and saw the hairline scratch/crack. whats unusual is the possible crack is on the d string. could this be the culprit? i'm basically brainstorming for what i could possibly say to the luthier later. its my first boxwood tailpiece so i don't know the characteristic. if it is the tailpiece at fault for my buzzy g, is this a total tailpiece replacement or do they simply glue it.

Replies (8)

September 17, 2019, 5:49 AM · Looks like nothing to me.

September 17, 2019, 6:52 AM · Take it to a luthier, they can assess the instrument as a whole. They can check everything that needs to be checked for buzzes and tonal adjustments. The tail piece looks like it might be cracked and is best to be replaced, though even from this photo it is hard to be sure. A tailpiece can be replaced while you wait, it doesn't take much longer then changing strings. Trust in your luthier.
September 17, 2019, 7:21 AM · thanks anthony and cotton, it might be nothing but this buzzing is putting me off from practice. so i'm hoping its this crack thats causing the issue.
September 17, 2019, 8:07 AM · https://imgur.com/a/hdd3VyO

here is another photo i took under the sunlight, hope you guys can see it better.

September 17, 2019, 9:13 AM · Could be a surface crack, but looks more like a scratch to me. It would be unusual for a crack to stop before getting to the end of the wood.

In any case, the location and size of this feature makes it extremely unlikely to be causing any buzzing, even if it is a crack.

September 17, 2019, 9:21 AM · thanks don, that makes sense, the crack is on D but its the g thats buzzing, i'll visit a luthier later this week to have a professional look, i was at the luthier yesterday and he adjusted my bridge, that temporarily stopped the buzzing but couple hours after i got home it started again.
September 17, 2019, 9:45 AM · The G string is a fickle thing. If it's a light buzz that the audience can't hear, it's probably just the winding or the string hitting the edges of the string grooves.
September 17, 2019, 9:49 AM · its definitely more noticeable to me rather than the audience, i played in front of 3 people so far and they are having a hard time telling the buzz, but to me its like night and day. this g string has been tighten and loosen couple times when adjusting the bridge. so maybe its that?

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Joshua Bell and the Los Angeles Philharmonic
Joshua Bell and the Los Angeles Philharmonic

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings