Mozart 4,5 or Saint-Saëns 3?

Edited: September 16, 2019, 1:14 PM · Hello,
For my next concert I dont know which one to play.
Mozart 4, Mozart 5 or Saint-Saëns 3?
I've played all the four seasons and I'm still working on Mozart 3.
I'll play for this concert Beethoven 5 sonata and bach's allemanda from the second partita
Which concerto should I play(I have difficulty to play fast but I dont have any problems in High positions )
Practicing...

Replies (9)

Edited: September 16, 2019, 2:13 PM · If you have not done Kabalevsky and Bruch, you should do those first. Mozart 4 and 5 and SS3 are hard. Pretty much everyone does Bruch before Saint-Saens, and they often do Kabalevsky before Mozart 4 and 5. The big-time soloists make Mozart sound very easy but it's very hard to get it right.

And you should be doing more studies (Kreutzer, Rode, Dont Op 35) and other preparatory repertoire to improve "playing fast." Kabalevsky is good for that, but I am a little surprised you would say that "playing fast" is a problem since you claim to have done the entire Vivaldi cycle -- certainly a lot of that is very fast passage work.

Also, do the rest of the D Minor Partita (but not the Chacconne -- the Giga should be next for you) and also do the Praeludio from the E Major Partita.

Good luck.

September 16, 2019, 2:41 PM · This is the stage where teachers usually recommend a pedagogical repertoire sequence.
September 16, 2019, 2:53 PM · Yes but he asked here, so either that's not happening or he doesn't have faith in what he's been told.
September 16, 2019, 3:35 PM · That seems like a lot for a single concert. Do you have to play a concerto? Why not play another shorter piece or more of the Bach?
September 16, 2019, 4:49 PM · If you just did Mozart 3, I wouldn't do another Mozart. Saint Saëns is a big leap up from Mozart 3 and the other listed pieces. I would maybe do something like Bruch 1st movement. Kabalevsky is a good choice also. Although not as good of pieces, the common Viotti concertos or De Beriot 9 might be an option as well.
September 16, 2019, 11:42 PM · Paul,
When I said I have probelms to play fast, I mean that I can't play faster that Vivaldi's four seasons(I can't play it at Nigel Kennedy' s tempo too)
September 17, 2019, 10:38 AM · Raymond
I think that it's okay; one sonata and a violin concerto
Maybe you thought that I play Mozart 3 and
an other concerto, but Mozart 3 is for an other concert
September 17, 2019, 10:49 AM · I like where Susan was heading with the Viotti and De Beriot, if you haven't played them. My teacher took me through those, and one of the Rodes before Vieuxtemps 2 and Wieniawski 2, with some smaller pieces in between, in order to build some technique up. She doesn't have her students play Mozart concertos until they have built some technique on romantic repertoire. If you keep playing Mozart after Mozart, you are unlikely to get much more out of it for now. Come back to it in a few years with fresh eyes.
Edited: September 17, 2019, 1:57 PM · I have forgot this one:
Easier there is Accolay a minor
Is it a good choice?

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Joshua Bell and the Los Angeles Philharmonic