Authentication of Ch. J.B. COLLIN-MEZIN cello (1900)

September 15, 2019, 7:31 PM · I inherited a Ch. J.B. COLLIN-MEZIN cello from my great grandfather (who bought it new from a shop in Philadelphia). I am considering selling it and have gotten it appraised by several luthiers. The latest place I consulted was Potter Violins, near Washington D.C. Everyone agrees that it is a Collin-Mezin but they are unsure whether it was made by the father or the son. The price is very different depending on which family member made it. I've been told I have to see an expert to determine this.

How do I find an expert who's qualified to do this? The people I've spoken with can't give me specific names.

Replies (6)

September 15, 2019, 8:25 PM · I'm surprised Dalton Potter didn't tell you who you could take it to who would have a more definitive opinion. Have you tried Brobst in Alexandria?

If one of the violin-shop owners here don't reply, I'd suggest you try the Maestronet forum for a recommendation.

September 16, 2019, 4:32 AM · I'm pretty sure Collin Mezin was a factory type operation, so neither father or son would have been directly involved in the actual building of the cello, but rather in an oversight position.
September 16, 2019, 7:36 AM · Try posting on maestronet.com.
September 16, 2019, 8:53 AM · Yes, Maestronet could help you.

Here some guidelines how to take good pictures. You cannot post them until you have 10 posts there, but you could put them in dropbox and post a link.

https://maestronet.com/forum/index.php?/topic/333119-how-to-photograph-an-instrument-for-identifcation-purposes/

September 16, 2019, 8:55 AM · I second Lydia's suggestion about trying Brobst.
September 16, 2019, 8:58 AM · Christopher Reuning in Boston

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Joshua Bell and the Los Angeles Philharmonic
Joshua Bell and the Los Angeles Philharmonic

Pirastro Strings