How long can you tryout a violin for

September 12, 2019, 12:08 PM · My daughter is upgrading her violin to a better one.
8-10k value. How long should she try it out before purchasing.
How long is it reasonable for a shop to let you keep one before buying. This one is a serious contender but we are still deciding.
Thank you

Replies (10)

September 12, 2019, 12:14 PM · Normal tryout time is one week. However, if you are still on the fence after a week most reputable shops will give you some more time.
September 12, 2019, 12:47 PM · You can almost always get an extension to two weeks. Depending on whether or not anyone else is seriously considering the violin, three or four weeks might be possible.
Edited: September 12, 2019, 3:24 PM · Anyone who runs a reputable shop will know about the importance of taking time for that decision. 8-10k is a range where one decides for an instrument that will bring one through the academic degrees, unless there are rich parents or a sponsor. As Lydia said, it mostly depends on if there are others in the market for a specific instrument. (I had mine on loan three! times and 8 weeks altogether before buying it.) The fact that this question bothers you shows that you're not an impertinent person, so don't be too shy. And finally, it's good for a violin to be played...
September 12, 2019, 8:27 PM · 1 week is reasonable and sufficient to either reject or keep in the running. If you have not made up your mind in a week, in all fairness you should return the instrument unless the shop doesn't have anyone else lined up and agrees to extend the loan. It is in their best interest to keep it in your hands as long as possible after all.
September 12, 2019, 9:34 PM · Two weeks means you need to be organized. Arrange (and pay for!) extra time with your teacher for professional evaluation in a place where you can really hear how they sound and project in a recital venue.
Edited: September 13, 2019, 6:59 AM · my luthier offered me a month for a particular violin asking for 8k. from what he told me you spend couple days opening up the violin, if the violin has just been hanging there in the shop. and a good amount of time getting familiar with it
September 13, 2019, 6:49 AM · "from what he told me you spend couple days opening up the violin, or "waking up", if the violin has just been hanging there in the shop. then another week or two getting use to it and be able to draw the best sound out of it"

I wonder how these two processes are differentiated.

Edited: September 13, 2019, 4:44 PM · The amount of time one needs to make up his mind depends on a number of factors. How experienced you're as a player. How experienced you're as a violin tester. How much time you're able to spend besides school or a full time job. If the venue you want to use for testing is available. If your teacher or colleague you trust is available right then.

Remember that it usually isn't only two or three violins from one specific dealer you're testing. Sure, in an ideal world everything would be arranged, and if one was in the market for a $$$$$$ or even $$$$$$$$ antique Italian, it would be just like that. But in real life, things have to come together several times.

The OPs daughter will not be a super expert in the process of finding the right violin, no matter her playing level. Besides that, she will attend school and have many other obligations to follow. Therefore it will take her longer to decide for "the right one" than a seasoned pro who might have tried thousands of instruments during his lifetime.

September 13, 2019, 5:04 PM · i guess the question here is, how much does she know lol,
September 14, 2019, 4:27 PM · It's a process of learning from education and experience, like anything else.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition
Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition