Conservatoire de Paris

September 9, 2019, 2:06 AM · How hard is it to be accepted to the Conservatoire de Paris (CNSMD de Paris)? Right now I am 16 years old and I’m currently playing the Chaconne in G minor by Vitali and will soon start on the Bruch concerto. I have recently played Sérénade mélancolique by Tchaikovsky and the Beethoven romance no 2. Do you think it’s possible for me to be accepted in 2 or 3 years if i work really hard? I have a strict russian teacher and I practice around 2-3 hours a day.
I speak a bit of french so that won’t be a problem.

Replies (8)

September 9, 2019, 8:49 AM · Ester,
Although I have lived near paris for 40+ years, I have only taught in private schools, and up to your declared level; but I'll tell what I can.

Here is a link for the different kinds of conservatoire:
https://metiers.philharmoniedeparis.fr/classement-conservatoires-musique.aspx#targetText=Il%20distingue%20trois%20types%20d,%C3%A0%20rayonnement%20r%C3%A9gional%20(CRR).

The CRD and CRR can prepare us for the CNSMD of Paris or Lyon.

You seem to be a little above the level at the end of the deuxième cycle (6 to 8 years), where the "Cycle préparant à l'entrée dans les établissements d'enseignement supérieur" can take from 2 to 4 years.

So I imagine it is possible :)

September 10, 2019, 5:05 AM · Thank you for your answer Adrian! With the 2ème cycle, do you mean you have played the violin for 6 to 8 years? Because I have already played for 10 years (I started when I was six), though very poorly the first few years. When do I go in to the 3ème cycle?

And have you had any students apply to the CNSMD de Paris? How old were they? And what did they play?

September 10, 2019, 6:48 AM · This school is more competitive then Curtis in many cases. It is the most competitive music school in the world most likely. They state they accept 30 students per year in all disciplines. At 16 the violinist they Accept by 16 have probably already been playing major concerti and winning or competing in major competitions. There are many good music schools I’ve heard in France but this once unfortunately seems a bit out of reach right now
Edited: September 10, 2019, 9:28 AM · Ester, out of curiosity, would you mind sharing the reason why you are interested in CNSMD de Paris? Is there a professor you really would like to study from? Or you find their structure or particular part of their program useful for your development as a musician?

I am a newbie to violin (and music), so I can't offer any personal advice for you. However, I came across a post on reddit where someone asked about their chance to get in the CNSMD de Paris for piano performance.

https://www.reddit.com/r/piano/comments/2m92qm/applying_to_the_conservatoire_de_paris_wondering/

There is also this video I came across. I believe it is a master class with the student currently studying there (I am not totally sure, since I don't really speak French). You can get an idea about their standard. A quick search on the performers, they should be about 18 when the video was recorded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfJjLfbA1G4

If you feel confident, you should try applying anyway. The worst case is they reject you. Even so, if for some reasons you are in love with that school, there are exchange program allows you to study there for a year. For example:

https://mcompass.umich.edu/index.cfm?FuseAction=Programs.ViewProgram&Program_ID=10697

Edited: September 10, 2019, 9:35 AM · At the end of the second cycle, one is playing Mozart or Viotti. I should have said 6 to 10 years.
The "third cycle" is destined for amateurs and can be replaced by the "Cycle préparant à l'entrée dans les établissements d'enseignement supérieur" i.e.Paris or Lyon.

As Mark wrote, the standard is very high regarding level and quality. Regarding the teaching too, I imagine.

I personally have not followed my students beyond the 2nd cycle, although one or two have gone on to greater things, amongst those who bother to keep in touch...

September 10, 2019, 11:31 AM · I can't add anything to the information sought by the OP, but I have known two graduates of the Paris Conservatory in my life and would not describe either of them as a prodigy. Solid players, yes.
September 11, 2019, 12:24 AM · Thanks all for your answering! How much difference would you say there is between the CNSDM Paris and Lyon? Since Paris may be a little out of reach according to your answers. I would love to study in France. Is there a lot difference in the teaching, teachers, environment, classes, etc? And in the difficulty getting accepted?
Edited: September 11, 2019, 9:42 AM · In theory, the Paris and Lyon CNS are equivalent, and I'm sorry I have no contacts in the stratosphere!

But even if you could "only" get into a regional conservatoire, you would not be wasting your time...

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition
Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition