Violin bow

Edited: September 7, 2019, 1:48 PM · When I was 12 in 1946 I bought a wood bow for $12.50 in Kitchener Ontario Canada. I am trying to find someone who could tell me what quality bow that could be for that price. The reason I would like to know is that I still like it and play it occasionally. I should have made some notes but didn’t. My teacher had been the CM in the Toronto symphony in the 30s. He had moved to Sault Ste Marie. He told me if I was ever in Kitchener to go to a particular violin shop to get a bow. How I decided on this bow I am not sure. My good bow is a good quality CF bow. I have 3 other wood bows. I am 84 and still play in a 12 piece ensemble. Please give me your opinion.
Andrew Victor, you may have an idea
Thanks
Terry

Replies (8)

September 7, 2019, 1:39 PM · Your post is blank?
September 7, 2019, 2:05 PM · we already discussed this at length in another thread a couple months ago????
September 7, 2019, 3:39 PM · You need an appraisal of what had once been fairly inexpensive? Go to an appraiser.
Edited: September 7, 2019, 4:57 PM · If you calculate with the average inflation rate since 1946, your 12.5 Canadian $ back then would be 168.56 (rounded) today. Most probably the prices in stringed instruments and bows increased much more than for bread and butter, but even if you bear this in mind you're still at a prize level not higher than 300 maybe?
A bow in this range back then might have been of German origin. One can find surprisingly decent bows in this segment, but I wouldn't expect any known (or even identifyable) name, this would be a big surprise. If I was in your shoes, I'd save the efforts of an appraisal. It will not turn out as a Nuernberger, Pfretzschner or anything the like.
September 7, 2019, 4:58 PM · And if you're not sure about that, maestronet would be a far better place to investigate on a question like yours.
Edited: September 8, 2019, 5:24 PM · Try to sell it to a dealer. If he makes an offer it's probably an OK bow and the retail price would probably be 2 or 3 times his offer. I did that some years ago with several bows and the offers were exactly half the SHAR price at the time. (Luckily I had owned the bows long enough that I did not lose money on the deal. I sold them.)

The value of bows has not followed the CPI. Realize that Hill's (London) used to include free bows with violins they sold and $10,000 and more is a typical price for some Hill bows today.

For another example H.R. Pfretzschner bows that go as high as $7,000 today were selling for 25 British Pounds in 1960 (at least according to Henley's book).

Edited: September 11, 2019, 8:33 PM · Thanks Andrew. I will try this next time when I go to London.

September 12, 2019, 9:37 AM · Any "real violin dealer" should be able to evaluate your bow.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition
Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition