Violin shops in Sydney

September 6, 2019, 3:53 PM · It seems really hard to find a violin shop that has a variety of violins. I can seem to only find one https://www.violins.com.au/collections/instruments?page=3
I can see a brand name Otto Jos Klier and it says made in Germany, however not sure if it’s reputable. That store has other violins that they make there too; but not sure if it’s good quality? And should I buy them?

Originally I wanted to purchase one off the Fiddlerman in America and their violins are Chinese but they have a good reputation. The exchange rate is crazy and if it’s $2500USD that is $3650AUD not including shipping.

My price range is $2000-3000 for a nice clear sounding violin and I’m hoping to purchase in a store but no idea where.

How do people here buy nice quality violins cause I’ve been searching online and there’s not many stores..

Replies (4)

September 6, 2019, 6:56 PM · Sydney is blessed with some very good violin and string instrument retailers. You've been on line?

Otto Jos Klier is a fine brand. Have you been on their website, or asked other musicians? Your teacher?

Now, I think you are best off going to one of the reputable shops in Sydney, getting first class advice, and paying your dollars. Soon, with much practice, you will be able to play nicely, and can be more independent in your selection of instruments.

September 7, 2019, 12:10 AM · Whenever I google violins “Simply for Strings” comes up every time,
They seem to have only new violins on their website
I googled what I did for melbourne “ trusted violin shops in Sydney” and there’s a website Oviolin that lists several violin shops in Sydney.
How trustworthy they really are I can’t say , but it could be a starting point .
That old chestnut: what does your teacher suggest?
September 7, 2019, 1:16 AM · Thanks for your replies. I don’t have a violin teacher anymore and I’m learning it myself.
September 7, 2019, 10:48 AM · I snooped around the Sydney String Center's YouTube videos, and I believe they have more instruments than just the ones you found online. They seem to like to operate by appt., and given how much you're thinking of spending (which unfortunately is not a great deal in the violin market, though it would be a lot to you), you might want to arrange an appt. so you can see what's available in your price range, and play the instruments. They seem to mostly handle European instruments, so they're likely to be more expensive than Fiddlerman, which has shops in China building their instruments. OTOH, they provide ongoing basic services to the instruments they sell, which over time could make up some of the difference in price (e.g. regular inspections and setup adjustments, etc.). If I were you I'd visit each of the shops in person, see what's available, and try out some violins, and get a feel for what services are included. For example, if you decide to buy a better violin later, many shops will credit the price of the violin you bought minus the cost of reconditioning it for resale. I'm a great fan of Fiddlerman; just bought my first violin through them, and their customer service is impeccable. I did not know enough to inquire about buyback policy, but I bought a good enough student violin that I don't expect to try to trade it in. But Australia is a very long ways away and shipping plus duties could add a lot to the price, and would make any returns or exchanges expensive for you.
I think if you visit the shops, you'll figure out if they are trustworthy (my guess is that they are).

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Leila Josefowicz and the Los Angeles Philharmonic
Leila Josefowicz and the Los Angeles Philharmonic

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition
Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Potter Violins

Pro-Am Strings

Violin Lab

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe