Shlomo Mintz

September 5, 2019, 10:35 AM · Hello,
My best friend recently bought me Shlomo Mintz's complete DG recordings for my birthday, and I couldn't help but notice the Tchaikovsky concerto was missing. Does anyone know if he's ever commercially recorded it? The others missing (Brahms sonatas, and Mozart concertos I know are on a different label)

Replies (19)

September 5, 2019, 7:36 PM · I thought you posed an interesting question, so I did a quick search. Amazon has no recording of him play the Tchaik, and Youtube also has none. So, I suspect that he never recorded it (for reasons that escape me). Sorry.
September 5, 2019, 8:48 PM · Its a shame. I think I'd really like his Tchaik
September 6, 2019, 2:16 AM · Hilarious.

So, after a concert you go up to the soloist and ask "How come you did not play the Tchaikovsky?"

September 6, 2019, 4:28 AM · I would like to ask Aaron Copeland why he never composed a violin concerto.
September 6, 2019, 4:57 AM · @Herman, yes. Exactly
Edited: September 6, 2019, 7:48 AM · Bill - the correct spelling is Aaron Copland. No ‘E.’
September 6, 2019, 11:42 AM · Copland did write a wonderful sonata for violin and piano.
September 6, 2019, 12:26 PM · I thought he had written one
September 6, 2019, 1:48 PM · https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EP41ifj7oZ4 Copland Violin sonata
Edited: September 6, 2019, 3:00 PM · Since Aaron Copland is my favorite composer I suppose I should learn how to spell his name correctly.

I have heard his violin sonata and think it ok but was kind of disappointed after hearing it the first time because I was expecting it to be grand like Appalachian Spring, and I think if he had composed a violin concerto it would just naturally have to be epic.

Thanks for posting us all a link Mr. Brothers!

Edited: September 6, 2019, 8:18 PM · Yes, Nate. But it's Misty Copeland, with an "e".
September 6, 2019, 9:34 PM · @Jeff, I'd like to ask Rachmaninov about not composing a violin/viola concerto/sonata
September 7, 2019, 2:17 AM · In about 1974 one of my student housemates said Aaron Copland was coming to the UK on a personal visit and would I like to meet him? "Oh yeah?" I said "I'll believe that when I see him". But it was him all right and I shook his hand after our performance of VW's Sea Symphony. AC clearly wasn't overly impressed.
September 7, 2019, 2:32 AM · The Copeland sonata was dedicated to a USA aviator who died in WW2, Thus the slightly somber, but uplifting tone.
September 7, 2019, 6:45 AM · Jake - what a thoughtful friend!

Best wishes,

Richard

September 7, 2019, 7:48 AM · @Richard, haha I know. Especially considering how much it was
September 7, 2019, 4:18 PM · Steve, it might have been the symphony rather than your performance that failed to impress AC.
September 7, 2019, 4:31 PM · I think he may be right
September 8, 2019, 3:23 AM · Yes, I'd like to think that too! I don't remember any details of the (brief) conversation we had but it was the expression on AC's face that made me think he hadn't much enjoyed the concert...

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Leila Josefowicz and the Los Angeles Philharmonic
Leila Josefowicz and the Los Angeles Philharmonic

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition
Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Potter Violins

Pro-Am Strings

Violin Lab

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe