Buzzing sound when plucking the G string

September 5, 2019, 2:47 AM · I can hear a buzzing sound when plucking the open G string on my old violin. If I touch the end of the fingerboard by the bridge the buzz stops.

I did not notice the G string vibrating against the fingerboard.
The fingerboard was corrected twice this summer because it did not have a good arch. Now the fingerboard is much thiner than before. Could this be the cause of the buzzing sound? Why only the G string is buzzing?
(I get a clear sound when plucking the other strings.)

Replies (6)

Edited: September 5, 2019, 3:54 AM · how many mm above the fingerboard is the G string at the bridge end of the fingerboard??

also the fingerboard might be coming unglued at the body end of the neck, try pushing the fingerboard up and see if you see any movement

September 5, 2019, 8:13 AM · It could be many different things causing the buzz. Here are some causes: 1. Loose purfling 2. Open seam 3. Crack 4. Unglued fingerboard 5. Bridge not straight/resting flat on its feet 6. Loose peg ornaments 7. Loose bassbar 8. Loose fine tuners.
September 5, 2019, 9:21 AM · If the buzzing goes away when you put your finger on the end of the fingerboard, none of those other options make sense.
September 5, 2019, 10:57 AM · If the buzzing ends when touching the finger board, then it's pretty obvious where the buzzing comes from... the finger board. Now how do you pluck the string? Vertically or horizontally? There's a good chance that you are vibrating the string somewhat vertically, hence buzzing when it vibrates against the finger board. It doesn't happen with the other strings as the amplitude of the vibration is much less. Perhaps the G string is a bit lower than it should be.
Edited: September 5, 2019, 11:14 AM · Thank you so much for all the responses.
I tried pushing the fingerboard up and it looks like it is moving a tiny bit. I can hear the buzzing sound when plucking horizontally.

It will need to be taken to the luthier very soon.

This is a 3/4 size violin:
The G string is 4.5 mm above the fingerboard at the end point.
D is a bit higher but still under 5 mm.
A - 4 mm
E - 3.5 mm

September 5, 2019, 12:13 PM · yes, it will need to be glued, about $20 at my shop

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Leila Josefowicz and the Los Angeles Philharmonic
Leila Josefowicz and the Los Angeles Philharmonic

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition
Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Potter Violins

Pro-Am Strings

Violin Lab

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe