Pedagogue in Europe for a 9 yo student

September 2, 2019, 2:15 AM · Hi,
I'm searching information about good violin pedagogue in Europe (France, Belgium, Germany etc) who could advise a 9 yo child (intermediate competition level).
This can be during a masterclass or more regular lessons during the week.
Any idea please ?
Thank you !

Replies (20)

September 2, 2019, 8:14 AM · Where are you located? That would seem important, if you are wanting a teacher for weekly lessons. Have I understood you properly?
September 2, 2019, 8:41 AM · We already have an excellent teacher but we would like to expand our horizon with other quality masterclasses where young children are accepted.
So the location is not the most important. Focus is on excellent teacher :)
Thanks
September 2, 2019, 8:48 AM · May I respectfully suggest that you involve your child's current teacher in seeking outside coaching or master classes? Going behind a teacher's back by making arrangements for study that the primary teacher is unaware of is a very good way to damage the relationship with your child's current teacher.

I'm in the US but can't imagine that this would be different in Europe.

September 2, 2019, 8:50 AM · Well, I’m in Germany, but in a slightly different market - as an adult. :)

However, I just did a masterclass with Helge Slaatto - he does them in Denmark, Germany, Switzerland, France, US, I believe. There was a 10 yr old in our midst, and they both seemed delighted by each other.

September 2, 2019, 9:28 AM · Dear Mary,
We are not hiding anything to our teacher and everything we do is in perfect respect of each other.
September 2, 2019, 11:22 AM · Then your teacher is your first and best source for names of other master teachers in Europe. Do they have any suggestions?
September 2, 2019, 11:38 AM · Why is it a problem to ask here? If the teacher has encouraged the family to look for extra masterclasses during music school breaks when he is not getting normal instruction, for example, why is "word of mouth" about teachers on a forum being discouraged?
September 2, 2019, 12:54 PM · It's not a problem to ask here and I apologize if that seemed to be what I was saying. But it seemed to me that asking your child's teacher would be far more fruitful than asking here for two main reasons: (1) your child's teacher knows your child's playing better than anyone else and can make informed recommendations about who might be good to work with, while for those with no knowledge of your child's playing, it is guesswork; (2) while this site has a lot of members, the majority are in the U.S. so the number of posters with current knowledge about teachers in Europe is much smaller than the number of total posters.

On occasion both here and in my personal experience, students and/or parents do ask questions that more properly should be directed to the private teacher already involved, so that is always my first response. It is very good that your child's teacher is involved. That isn't always the case.

September 2, 2019, 1:11 PM · I agree with Mary Ellen. The child's primary teacher is the one best equipped to know who would be the best complement to the child's playing, and to their own teaching style and focus. When more than one teacher instructs a student, there should be coordination between the two or at least clear lines of delineation so the student does not receive conflicting instructions.

Edited: September 2, 2019, 1:50 PM · I agree with Lydia and Mary Ellen too. But the fact is, there are violin teachers who can be very good teachers but they don't know tons of other teachers. In every profession there are some who are just more networked than others. For the career-minded violinist, having a teacher who is well connected is an advantage for just this reason.
September 2, 2019, 3:07 PM · I understand, but when he made it clear that the teacher is involved, that would imply to me that the teacher him/herself did not have a suggestion...but would welcome them. I would assume any experiences would be run past the very involved teacher...

I just know, with my background, I would have appreciated having a helpful forum like this when I didn’t have any direction, and would be frustrated if no info was given because of a blanket “should”...

September 2, 2019, 3:16 PM · (Namely, that I took two years of “violin lessons” (from 16-18, right before university) with the local voice teacher because my violin teacher left for college and didn’t know of any other teachers in the area. Meanwhile, years later I found that there was a teacher just 30 minutes away. Not to make this all about me. But I guess that’s why it hit a sore spot. The advice to ask my teacher wouldn’t have done me any good.)
September 2, 2019, 5:06 PM · The OP's original post and first reply did not indicate that they had the teacher's knowledge and consent.
September 2, 2019, 5:34 PM · But it didn't indicate they did not either Lydia - do people have to fill in all the dots before they can evoke a discussion? I think the question was entirely reasonable - indeed, the OP could have been a result of moving to Europe, there was no mention of any American teacher.

The topic went a bit astray - I feel a bit sorry for the OP - perhaps we can get back on track?
Anyone know of a great teacher in Europe, willing to take a 9 yr old promising student? :)

Edited: September 3, 2019, 3:07 AM · My question seems to produce a lot of frustration...
I'm sorry if I launch such a polemic but I d like to avoid this kind of discussion here.

I m not searching for a second permanent teacher but only new (short) experiences (MC or other). If I ask this here to this forum in US, this is because music in general has now become so international that I think it makes sense.

I don't think I have to justify or to argue here why I'm asking but in order to calm your mind : YES our teacher encourage us to have OTHER experiences -> with his approval.
This is already the case with other students of our teacher who already participate to MC with Leonidas Kavakos, Julia Fischer or Kyrill Troussov.
My daughter has not the level to have lessons with those yet (except for Troussov), so that's why I'm asking here for other idea.

I would appreciate to refocus this topic to my initial question :
"Do you know a renowned professor in Europe who could advise a 9 yo student."

Thank you

Sam

September 3, 2019, 3:00 AM · I’m not terribly experienced in this world, but perhaps contacting local conservatories or music schools about their junior departments could help you find something. They may well have information about any events their professors are putting on for their younger students etc. Good luck in your search!
Edited: September 3, 2019, 3:14 AM · Thank you for you suggestion !
But local conservatories in our country is not an option for quality. And other high school doesn't accept young talent before the age of 12.
September 3, 2019, 7:16 AM · Then perhaps further your search with other conservatories in other countries? The UK conservatories have excellent junior departments, but I’m not sure if they put on masterclasses etc. Does your child’s teacher have any connections with perhaps their old teachers etc?
September 3, 2019, 8:51 AM · http://www.zakharbronschool.ch/

Edited: September 3, 2019, 2:23 PM · have you tried contacting the Queen Elisabeth Music Chapel? I believe they have a program for younger children (but they better be good! ;-)
445, Chaussée de Tervuren
1410 Waterloo - Belgium
T +32 2 352 01 10
info@cmre.be

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Leila Josefowicz and the Los Angeles Philharmonic
Leila Josefowicz and the Los Angeles Philharmonic

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition
Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Potter Violins

Pro-Am Strings

Violin Lab

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe