Endless Wrists Problem which ruined my life (2)

Edited: August 30, 2019, 11:22 AM · I am extremely surprised to see my previous thread (Endless Wrists Problem which ruined my life) has been archived and is no longer accepting responses. It's not even visible in the Discussion page.

It had the last message posted on August 20 while other threads with a much older last message are still active and not archived, so why was mine archived ?

I was waiting for an answer to my last post and I was also going to post some updates soon. Maybe my health problem is less interesting to the administrators than other threads ? I guess so

You can see the original thread only by following this link
https://www.violinist.com/discussion/thread.cfm?page=3236
at the bottom you see it's archived and not accepting responses

Replies (15)

August 31, 2019, 9:08 AM · After reading the post where you mentioned the whole soft/rigid keyboard thing, I am now more than ever convinced that it's TMS in your case. In my view, that is textbook TMS thinking/behavior.

It's like the patient suffering from back pain who has to sleep on a 'soft' mattress. Or the one who starts sleeping on his stomach so as not to aggravate his back symptoms. Or the computer user who starts using the mouse with his left hand because the right one is diagnosed with 'RSI'.

One thing they have in common is at one point or another they start 'babying' their arms (or back); everything has to be done cautiously from now on. It's like that particular body part has suddenly become permanently super fragile.

It's like they hold a magnifying glass over their arms 24/7: When it hurts, the pain calls their attention. But even when they aren't in much pain, they are thinking about how to prevent the next excruciating relapse.

This constant fear-based obsession is the main reason they don't seem to recover like people normally would.

Rocco, I'm wondering whether any of this resonates with you.

Do you recognize yourself in those TMS stories?

Edited: August 31, 2019, 9:33 AM · Rocco, my understanding is that once the post has reached certain number of replies, it will be automatically closed and archived. Nothing personal - this is just how this system appears to work.
@Addison, I hear your point and will re-iterate what I had stated before, based on my personal experience (I am not a doctor or PT): any average PT will prescribe a set of exercises and recommend a typical RICE regime, which may work in some cases. In other, more complex cases, it will not work. An excellent PT will know how to custom design a proper recovery regime for each and every patient. This means that not only the sequence (and intensity) of exercises, but also a dance between inactivity and proper activity will be designed for a timed recovery. Even the best exercise prescribed too early will do more harm than good. On the other hand, as you stated, conditions such as "frozen shoulder" are the result of resting / sparing the body in order to avoid the pain, resulting in loss of function. The elements of a proper recovery regime are Active release therapy, massage, stretching, resting and strengthening. During the recovery, balance (lost due to injury) needs to be regained and particular muscles strengthened to avoid further injury. Lastly, it seems to me that our body is properly designed for survival, so the immediate reaction is to preserve itself - this initial survival reaction often negatively affects long-term recovery, since balance is lost, body will not heal on its own, unless we help it. Hope this helps.
Edited: August 31, 2019, 4:24 PM · All posts are archived after a month. Rocky is correct, it's nothing personal at all. It's perfectly fine to continue with Part 2!
Edited: September 1, 2019, 7:33 AM · @Laurie Niles I appreciate the explanation, thank you, even tough this system clearly doesn't help my quest for a solution, I mean if a thread is archived after only 1 month then nobody who reads it after it's gone can answer at all and if I have updates to post I have to open thread number 2 3 4 5 6 etc while I could have simply added a message to the original thread.

@Rocky Milankov Your advices are all very good but I have tried them all with no improvement. What worries me really a lot is that after having tried 100 therapies over these 24 years I have never ever ever improved a little bit.

@Addison Wyman I am surely holding a magnifying glass over my wrists 24/7 as you say but at least this helps me having zero pain the whole day. Using the proper smartphone, pc keyboard and even car steering wheel makes me have zero pain/discomfort.
Basically there's a certain mechanical stress threshold, if I stay below it with anything I do I get zero pain/discomfort, as soon as I go above it the pain starts. Are you still convinced it's TMS ?

September 1, 2019, 1:06 PM · Absolutely.

And there are two main reasons why I'm convinced it's TMS in your case.

#1.
All your tests and scans have come back clean.

And you have truly taken every test out there.
Since every physical possibility has already been ruled out by countless of medical professionals over the past two decades, I think it's not only safe but it also makes sense to explore the psychological realm from now on.

#2.
There has been no sign of improvement whatsoever.

The mechanical treshold you mentioned —seems— logical: A small, proper, lightweight smarthphone = comfortable, no pain. On the other hand, a big(ger), heavy smartphone = pain and discomfort. But it isn't. Because by the same token, you should become stronger with every repetition. In other words, after using a small smartphone for a couple of days or weeks, you should be able to handle a slightly bigger one.

But your treshold doesn't shift. Hasn't shifted. There's no improvement at all.

I think maybe you are approaching this in the wrong way: You shouldn't rule out TMS ('It hurts when I do X or use Y, so it can't be TMS/psychological, right?'), but you should rule out the physical instead.

Which you have already done via all those MRIs, X-rays, blood tests, osteopaths, etc.

Frankly, TMS is kinda your last option here.

Rocco, let me know what you think.

September 3, 2019, 5:53 AM · Just saw this: might it be something you could try?

https://www.curablehealth.com/take-a-tour?fbclid=IwAR08mkLBnv-NsBdkcIbyZFdtus7HO7R_OLHe-8-wQTdl9SjMFYwJlv9H2E0

September 3, 2019, 5:53 AM · Just saw this: might it be something you could try?

https://www.curablehealth.com/take-a-tour?fbclid=IwAR08mkLBnv-NsBdkcIbyZFdtus7HO7R_OLHe-8-wQTdl9SjMFYwJlv9H2E0

Edited: September 3, 2019, 10:21 AM · @ Addison Wyman and Anita Kaul
I don't rule out TMS at all, I am open to it but after trying some programs I had zero improvement just like the other 100 therapies I tried and after 24 years what else can I say ? ....

The Scientific Advisory Team of that Curable app includes among others Alan Gordon who writes a lot on the TMS subject on the tmswiki.org website, infact I tried his Pain Recovery Program few years ago
http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
but as I said no improvement

September 3, 2019, 10:16 AM · I agree with Addison.

Working with a somatic-based therapist would help immensely as they will address the location of your pain AND your relationship to the pain/location. I'm also going to restate the recommendation for acupuncture - although I think a somatic therapist (who also does EMDR) would be the most beneficial at this point.

I've been through the ringer with a neck issue causing countless migraine headaches, of which no medical tests could conclusively tell what was going on or how to help (medications, etc did nothing to improve). The management of this issue became almost all encompassing, and it was exhausting to the point where any little shift in my schedule created a migraine. It was awful. What helped? Somatic therapy, chiropractor (who also does cranial sacral work), acupuncture/Chinese Medicine, meditation. All the things that a lot of people on this forum will say do not work. Migraines are not 100% gone, but when I get them they are much more mild (I can still go to work and function), and I'm not spending a lot of energy managing them anymore. I know my state of mental health is more of a factor in causing the migraines than physical factors; and I respect that and take care of myself differently than before. We are not just physical beings - our state of mental health impacts our bodies.

Look up Peter Levine's work: Waking the Tiger, or In an Unspoken Voice. Besser Van Der Kolk's The Body Keeps the Score is also good with delineating what is happening within the body and mind.

September 3, 2019, 1:15 PM · I'll repeat myself from a similar discussion. The people on this forum that are most qualified to give advice have the initial D. somewhere in their title; are unlikely to submit something for valid ethical and liability reasons. They do not want to give a diagnosis or suggest a treatment without an in-person exam and testing.
September 3, 2019, 2:39 PM · Joel, the op is here because of lack of success with doctors, at least mainstream ones.
September 3, 2019, 3:06 PM · I don't see what the problem is when recommending that someone see a therapist, or other modalities when the standard go-to's have apparently not worked out. It is no different than recommending someone see a doctor or PT who works with musicians.
September 5, 2019, 7:40 AM · @Sean Gillia from the previous thread
I have contacted an ART (Active Release Technique) practitioner as you advised and he replied that after being treated by so many phisycians including a Stecco method one who is an expert in the fascia release just like ART and no improvement ever he thinks ART cannot be useful as well, he thinks I have something 'more obscure' (...)
September 5, 2019, 5:31 PM · Don't know about TMS, but my migraines (and chronic fatigue) essentially vanished with taking acetyl-l-carnitine, 1000mg every morning. Before that it was iron and b12.

Supplements that correct deficiencies have helped me a lot.

September 27, 2019, 2:58 PM · The OP has been extensively assessed by medical and other physical therapy experts over the last 20 or so years and tried all sorts of approaches which haven't worked.

I think the kindest advice is to recommend a good psychotherapist so that he might start to come to terms with his condition. Or perhaps address a psychosomatic issue.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Leila Josefowicz and the Los Angeles Philharmonic
Leila Josefowicz and the Los Angeles Philharmonic

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition
Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Potter Violins

Pro-Am Strings

Violin Lab

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe