Endless problems in finding the Flesch Flat chinrest

August 30, 2019, 1:09 AM · Someone might remember my struggle to get a new chinrest for my girls next violin ( 1/4) specifically flesch flat chinrest. The first store never sent it and I got a refund from Paypal, the next one arc-verona sent the chinrest, or so I thought. It looked similar, though I was a bit dissapointed that it is not higher than the 1/8 one.

Well, now I started to put it on 1/8 violin to try and it says GEWA in the chinrest.

Now is Flesch flat a Gewa chinrest or did they mistakedly send me a wrong one?

It is very similar in shape but not quite and it is not higher than the 1/8 one, which is strange. Obviously I cannot complain to them because I did thepurchase in spring and didnt notice, but do I now have to start searching for the right chinrest again? Im pretty sure this one is not high enough for her when she is in 1/2 violin (the flesch one was supposed to be 1/2-1/4) and probably not high enough when she starts 1/4 (she plays restless with thin and soft sponge and I hope she will continue like that at least for a couple of years until her shoulders grow enough).

How difficult can it be in Europe to find a childrens flat chinrests? Does everybody play with standard chinrests here as a child? Well answering that is maybe yes, I have seen only one kid besides my daughter playing with anything else that the standard chinrest.

Replies (1)

August 30, 2019, 2:43 AM · Flesch Flat is the name of the shape of chinrest, Gewa is the brand. The Flesch Flat shape is made by other brands as well, and the shape may differ a bit between brands.

If you are looking for a higher chinrest I think your best option is to add height to the one you have. If only a little extra height is needed adding some cork will work. If more height is required I would recommend to remove the cork from the rest and have wood glued on. And off course new cork under that. Adding a significant amount of cork under the chinrest makes it wobbly.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Leila Josefowicz and the Los Angeles Philharmonic
Leila Josefowicz and the Los Angeles Philharmonic

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition
Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Potter Violins

Pro-Am Strings

Violin Lab

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe