Another bl**dy rosin thread (and other miscellaneous topics)

Edited: August 29, 2019, 2:22 PM · I'm looking for a rosin to use with my plain gut strings. Typically I use a mix of Kaplan Dark and Pop's bass rosin, but it's hard to get the proportions correct. The Kaplan is too hard and slippery and the bass rosin is too tacky (especially now that I've remelted it).

I emailed Fiddlershop and they recommend Yumba rosin as an in-between of those two, but yikes—that's $65 shipped to Canada just for a tin of rosin.

I'm thinking I will just melt them down and blend the two together. Thoughts?

Also, I tried Aquila strings. Their semi-rectified strings really are something special. It's the first A string I've ever used that hasn't frayed at all after a month of use. It's pretty much impervious to sweat. The only downside is that it inexplicably seems to stick at the nut and is a royal pain to tune. The G string is waaay too heavy, too—the medium is like a Gamut heavy+. Definitely gotta get a light next time.

Also also, I've been using my tuneable tailpiece for a while, and can conclude that tuning the afterlength does precisely nothing. As long as your afterlength generally isn't too short or too long, the sound is totally unaffected by the specific pitch of the afterlength of any given string. The tailpiece looks wicked, though, so I'm keeping it on.

Replies (4)

August 29, 2019, 1:48 PM · Dark cello rosin? How much does Hidersine 6C cost in Canada?
August 29, 2019, 4:27 PM · Hi Cotton, I've tried a few over the years but stopped looking any further after I used this one. It has come up in discussions here I notice so I put in a link to that.
The version that comes in a wooden box has proved quite practical. I haven't yet broken it or lost it and I'm so tight I keep rosin for ever.

https://www.violinist.com/discussion/archive/9369/

https://www.lamaisondelacorde.com/1226-colophane-p-guillaume---recharge-7071000008764.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsrak4IGp5AIVhoXVCh1kXQGJEAQYAiABEgKf7_D_BwE

August 30, 2019, 1:55 PM · I thought a bloody rosin thread was going to be about bloody rosin.
August 30, 2019, 2:03 PM · I wouldn't dream of getting involved in another bl**dy rosin thread but I'm delighted to hear that Cotton found no effect of tuning the afterlength. Finally something I don't need to worry about!

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition
Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition