Suitable Piece for Comp Program?

August 26, 2019, 9:54 PM · Hi, I’m Cal. I have to prepare a 20 minute program for an upcoming competition, and my teachers and I were deciding what I should play. Currently, I’m planning to play Bach g minor adagio, Saint-Saens 3 1st movement, and Brahms Sonatensatz. I have a few minutes left on my program, and my teachers wanted me to add a short, contrasting piece to the program that would be quick to learn. Some suggestions were Kreisler Danse Espagnole, La Gitana, and Kreisler/Albeniz Tango. I’m leaning toward the last two. My teacher also wanted me to see if there were any other pieces that I liked and thought could fit. Any suggestions and thoughts?

Replies (11)

August 27, 2019, 12:59 AM · Sarasate Romanza Andaluza
August 27, 2019, 8:47 AM · I would think less in terms of time and more in terms of balance. You've got Baroque and lots of Romantic, so the obvious choices are some Mozart (all likely too long), 20th/21st century, or for lack of a better word, "ethnic." The suggestions of the Kreisler more "ethnic" pieces would work well, but there are a lot of other potential options.

Another way to go would be to add a Paganini or Wieniawski caprice or anything Ysaye.

August 27, 2019, 12:18 PM · I think you have a good list. Anything from the Kreisler collection would be --refreshing. All of them fit on one side of a 78 record. As a judge, I am weary of hearing mediocre (in the original French meaning) performances of Mendelssohn/Bruch concertos.
August 27, 2019, 12:23 PM · Susan makes a good point. Why not Bartok Rumanian Dances, if it isn't too long? (about 11 - 12 mins)
Edited: August 27, 2019, 12:32 PM · How about Rodion Shchedrin In the Style of Albeniz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUwBuCFGOOY

Fun. Short. Easy but with tons of attitude/character.

August 27, 2019, 1:14 PM · I agree with the idea of adding a different period in and doing something showy
August 27, 2019, 9:09 PM · I vote for Kreisler/Albeniz Tango. Play a piece featuring a major key, or not a minor key like your other three pieces.
Edited: August 27, 2019, 10:48 PM · I don't think he's got 11-12 minutes to fill on his program, but some of the Bartok could be fine. I agree with Frieda about not having all minor keys. It would be so cool if you could play your own "loaded" version of something like "Amazing Grace." (Think "Last Rose of Summer" here except don't make it freaking impossible, right?) You want something ... SOMETHING that conveys to the judges that you are hopelessly in love with playing the violin and entirely inseparable from it.
August 28, 2019, 9:10 AM · Tzigane?
August 29, 2019, 6:25 AM · Perhaps something slow and lyrical, like Ponce Estrellita!

Or if you're adventurous, you could try out Heifetz arrangments of pieces by Gershwin (I recommend Prelude No.1 -- it's amazing and flashy, and it's only 1-2 minutes long)

Also, just wondering, what competition is it that you're joining?

August 29, 2019, 9:11 AM · Reread the OP and he doesn't have time for either the Bartok or Tzigane.

Maybe one of the Heifetz arrangements from Porgy and Bess? Those are fun.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition
Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition