Have you ever physicially injured your teacher? (Inadvertently, of course)

Edited: August 26, 2019, 5:18 PM · So when I was twelve my parents were considering a new piano teacher for me (that's for you, Paul).

We all had to go for an interview at his house in the early evening.

He was a really old guy (I can say this because I'm older than that now).

I had crashed my bike earlier in the day and I had a bloody dressing on my knee and it hurt like the dickens. I was in a foul mood.

I think he was trying to impress my parents when he said, "My hands are very strong". He got down on his hands and knees in front of me and put his cupped hand face down on the carpeted floor.

"Now step on it", he said to me, "You can't hurt me", I tapped his hand unsurely with my hurty leg.

"What are you, some kind of weakling?" he said.

I had had it. With all the strength I could muster and being fed up by this point, I launched off my good leg and stomped as hard as I could on the outstretched back of his hand.

My parents were aghast. He had a surprised expression on his face and pretended nothing had happened although he was rubbing his hand a bunch.

I became his student; at the first lesson the following week I noted he had a bandage wrapped around his hand.

Replies (14)

August 26, 2019, 5:04 PM · My dear God, what a hilarious and awesome teacher. And what a great story.

I need to start doing this with students.

August 26, 2019, 6:03 PM · How would this translate to violin teachers, I wonder.
Maybe the student would be asked to stomp on your right bicep? Or maybe on the tips of your fingers with your hand face-up...

"My callouses are very strong".

Edited: August 28, 2019, 8:38 AM · At least you were not like Mr J Gordon Whitehead!
August 28, 2019, 10:26 AM · If this story is true, it is amazing!!! And if it isn't, it's still a great story.

I cannot recall hurting a teacher, I do remember accidentally breaking my art teacher's prized white marble statuette in class though. I don't recall what I did to break it, but I recall being mortified and unable to look him in the eye after profusely apologizing for months afterward. (He was, incidentally, a fantastic man and teacher - which made this incident all the more tragic for me.)

August 28, 2019, 12:59 PM · You know how, if you're old enough, perhaps one's memory barely registers your early teachers?
Not this guy.
He left an indelible mark on me (I think the mark I left on him was temporary).

He made his students memorize poems and aphorisms that you would recite at the beginning of lesson. We also had to read biographies of the masters and write a book report on it.

My mother yanked me after a couple of years because:

-My music was bought by him at Dale Music in Silver Spring, and he then sold it to us at a 50% markup.

-At the last yearly recital he had myself and another student play exactly the same piece.

-The student before me used to exit in tears.

August 29, 2019, 10:03 AM · Unlike the state universities in Texas, most private ones do not allow guns to be carried on campus. Therefore, it is less likely that a teacher will be hurt on the private campuses.
August 29, 2019, 1:33 PM · Toby :) :) :)
Edited: August 31, 2019, 10:41 AM · I have to admit, although I'm a life-long amateur who has been fortunate enough to have had several wonderful teachers (from grammar school age through college), I fear I have injured most of them - particularly when I would play, they would cover their ears and clearly make a face that indicated great pain.
September 5, 2019, 2:04 PM · I never hurt a teacher (accidentally or otherwise), but I did once accidentally hurt a fellow player with a slip of the hammer while helping her set up her tent at a bluegrass festival. She was left unable to play her bass at the open stage, and made me fill in. To compound the punishment, the group that was up before us didn't have a bass player, and they dragged me onstage with them - where I had to play music I had never heard before, in the key of A flat. The group after ours got me to play with them too (in B flat this time).
September 10, 2019, 8:37 PM · I've definitely gotten a bow to the face by students and whacked with endpins! Lol!
September 11, 2019, 9:46 AM · Pamela, as I tended to wander when playing, my dear teacher used to hide all her vases etc before I arrived!
September 11, 2019, 9:57 AM · I have started wandering in my very small and crowded-with-stuff practice space and realized that I needed to restrict my wanderings. I haven't broken anything, but I have run into an errant chair (with my body, and my bow - eek!) I need to move to a bigger apartment... or get rid of more stuff!

I think the most pain I've caused my teachers is with my playing... my teacher now seems less tortured by my playing, which is always a bonus. Ha!

September 11, 2019, 7:09 PM · "I think the most pain I've caused my teachers is with my playing... my teacher now seems less tortured by my playing, which is always a bonus. Ha!"

Pam I feel this in my SOUL.

September 12, 2019, 8:48 AM · HAHA Kristen! That's great that I'm not alone. I mean, when I first started working with them they literally looked like they were being flogged, dipped in tar and then dragged through rubble. It was really, really comical, terribly embarrassing and mortifying for me because it affirmed my worst nightmares. The comments afterward were equally astonishing (positive feedback nestled in with "this needs work" feedback). In a recent lesson, I was told that they were no longer in pain listening to my vibrato. I love my teacher - they're a goldmine for me.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition
Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition