VSound2 acoustic tone pedal

Edited: August 25, 2019, 9:47 AM · Some automated advertising system from the internet let me know about this pedal specifically designed for electric violins - the VSound2. It claims to make any cheapo electric solid body violin sound like an acoustic Strad or del Gesu. Well let's be realistic, anything that might push any out-of-the-box electric at least 70% towards an acoustic student level would be a revolution for me.

I bought my Yamaha SV250 mainly for traveling (less risk of damage, quiet enough to use in a hotel room). Yet, it simply sounds like cheese. While I could live with the higher registers, the D and especially the G definitely suck. The G sucks to a degree that I haven't plugged the instrument since more than a year, but use it unplugged in "silent mode" (if at all). Sure there is lots of technical stuff where one could let the signal run through, but first, I'm not an electronics play cat and wanna play violin, not cables. And second, being in need of a whole sound studio wouldn't be helpful when following the initial purpose, traveling and hotel etc. I did try dozens of different Amps and whatnot, so it's not a problem with my headphone or my Bluetooth speaker. No matter what I did, it was cheese and rubber bands I got.

Has anyone tried this VSound thing yet? Although there seem to be several drawbacks (goofy design etc) and it's not really cheap, but having such a small thing making an electric sound like an acoustic without the need of having majored in sound engineering sounds just too good to be true...

Replies (4)

August 26, 2019, 8:24 PM · Try an a Mooer Acoustikar simulator pedal for an affordable alternative.
August 27, 2019, 3:11 PM · What does it what the average guitar amp doesn't? (Sorry if this is a foolish question, I'm really completely not into these things...)
Edited: August 27, 2019, 5:09 PM · As I understand this, the neutral sound of a solid body electric violin is fed through an impulse response recording obtained by tapping the side upper corner of the bridge of a real violin. This is similar to clapping ones hands in a resonant church and recording the reverberation. A strong, short impulse contains a wide range of frequencies.

Thus the sideways motions of the strings excite this "memory" of the wood and air of the real violin. The Vsound contains IR samples of various violins, inluding a Strad, a Guarnerius etc.

The results can be quite remarkable.

I have no shares in the company, and anyway its too expensive for me and seems somewhat un-ergonmic

August 27, 2019, 10:44 PM · Mark, your email went (like some others from this forum) into the spam, but I found it now. It's helpful and contains the information I was looking for, thanks a lot!

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition
Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition