boston alexander technique violinists

Edited: August 22, 2019, 11:09 AM · Hi! I'm experiencing left shoulder pain and I think training with the Alexander Technique might be useful for me. I also have quite a lot of tension in my body. Does anyone know of any violin teachers in the Boston area who have experience in teaching the Alexander technique?

I think I want to learn how to play without shoulder rest but I need to develop a better sense of body awareness. If you don't know any teachers, do you know of any resources?

Replies (2)

August 22, 2019, 12:08 PM · There is a violinist.com member, Raphael Klayman, who claims aptitude for converting violinists from SR to restless. I think he is in New York but he might know someone for you in your area.
Edited: August 22, 2019, 2:35 PM · Bob Lada https://www.berklee.edu/people/bob-lada is at Berklee college of music. He teaches a couple of courses for musicians. I am pretty sure he is not a violinist; I think he might be a pianist. He has definitely worked with upper string players. I met him at an intensive retreat in June that was well populated with upper string players and he seemed to know what he was doing. I was having left shoulder pain at that time. I only worked with him once briefly, but I was impressed. My shoulder is much, much better now, by the way. I think it improved due to Alexander lessons closer to home, and also strength training.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition
Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition