J Schubert

August 20, 2019, 1:28 PM · Hello all
Just a quick one. Would J Schubert's viola concerto, first movement, be a valid piece to audition with at a conservatoire for undergraduate?

Thanks!

Replies (8)

August 21, 2019, 1:25 PM · I would say yes, as it seems to be at the same level that the other classical concertos, but you should better ask!
August 22, 2019, 9:06 AM · I haven’t seen the score but if it’s supposedly similar in level to other classical concerti than why not pick hoffmeister or stamitz which will be guaranteed to be accepted. Conservatory’s these days frequently will want either Walton or Hindemith though even if they don’t say it.
Edited: August 22, 2019, 12:47 PM · On one of the websites it says Hindemith, Walton, Bartok, Hoffmeister or Stamitz
August 23, 2019, 5:51 AM · Like many have said on different threads, it is always best to audition with a standard piece. Because it is not the piece itself, but how your are playing, that they want to assess. And this is best evaluated over a standard piece.
August 23, 2019, 6:26 AM · @Jean, that makes sense. Thanks
August 23, 2019, 1:21 PM · For the avoidance of doubt, which "J Schubert" is this? "Johannes" and "Joseph" are listed in IMSLP.
August 23, 2019, 1:22 PM · Joseph I think. His concerto is in C I believe
August 23, 2019, 4:04 PM · Thanks!

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition
Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition