Corelli's La Follia

Edited: August 19, 2019, 12:27 PM · What's your favourite edition?

I have the 1914 Schott LĂ©onard/Barmas, but I'd like something better, and complete!
And no, I don't want the Kreisler!

Replies (9)

August 20, 2019, 4:47 AM · In fact, I had vol1 of the barenreiter corelli, so I forked out for vol 2. If that won't do, nothing will!
August 20, 2019, 4:55 AM · Suzuki Book 6 - no other edition comes close

Edited: August 21, 2019, 5:46 AM · La Follia/La Folia (spellings vary) is several hundred years old, possibly a folk tune or song in its origin, and is one of the oldest tunes still being played regularly. It has attracted the close attention of literally hundreds of composers over the centuries, not only from the Baroque (e.g. Corelli, Geminiani), but through Beethoven to Rachmaninov in modern times, for example.

To account for its longevity there must be something in the tune's harmonic structure that speaks to the depths of the human psyche. Now there's a hint for buskers!

August 20, 2019, 4:06 PM · Just to point out that the Suzuki "edition" is a shortened, much romanticised version. Great fun, though.
August 21, 2019, 3:36 PM · Corelli's La Folia is Nr 12 in D minor of his 12 Violin Sonatas Op 5. The urtext sheet music is downloadable from IMSLP - two editions are available.

An excellent, not to say virtuoso, Baroque performance of Corelli's La Folia well worth listening to is by the eminent Baroque violinist Andrew Manze. Geminiani reworked Corelli's Opus 5 as a set of 12 concerti grossi, of which the 12th is La Folia. The full set has been recorded by The Academy of Ancient Music, and again is well worth listening to.

August 21, 2019, 9:53 PM · Since this has turned to performances I'll say Enescu's rendition is the best. Suzuki was a fan of it too.
August 21, 2019, 10:14 PM · Yes, I've got the urtext from IMSLP, but of course it doesn't have any fingerings, and they can be very interesting. I think I need to look out for a Schirmer edition too.
As for performance, I've only got Grumiaux's which didn't particularly stand out first time I heard it, although yesterday I listened to it and wondered if I was being oversensitive. I commented on it once here, but didn't get much response. I'll look out for Enescu.
August 22, 2019, 1:43 AM · There is a Schott edition (2014, by Wolfgang Birtel), "based on Corelli`s first edition", with fingerings.
https://www.stretta-music.com/en/corelli-birtel-sonata-la-follia-d-moll-op-512-nr-630906.html?country=DE

Example of fingerings: https://www.paganino.de/noten/geigennoten/mit-klavier/c-d/corelli-a-violinsonata-la-follia-op-5-12-d-moll.html#&gid=1&pid=3

There are two Urtext editions of Corelli's whole op. 5, one is Baerenreiter Urtext (Hogwood, Mark), 2 Volumes, with no. XII La Follia in vol. 2 (https://www.baerenreiter.com/en/shop/product/details/BA9456/), the other one Wiener Urtext, also 2 volumes: https://www.universaledition.com/de/notenshop/sonaten-fuer-violine-und-basso-continuo-corelli-arcangelo-ut50236

I have alway been very happy with Baerenreiter but the new Schott (2014) might be what you are currently looking for.

August 22, 2019, 2:17 AM · Thanks, Katarina!

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Leila Josefowicz and the Los Angeles Philharmonic
Leila Josefowicz and the Los Angeles Philharmonic

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition
Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Potter Violins

Pro-Am Strings

Violin Lab

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe