Healing from an injury

August 17, 2019, 1:31 PM · I've been taking a break from the violin for about 6 weeks because of finger pain. At first, all the joints in the tips of my fingers would ache, my fingers always felt tight and sore after practice, and my wrist was in pain. Every morning I would wake up and my left hand would be a mess. Everything in my left hand was hurting. So I took the 6 week break. I'm assuming all of this was an overuse injury because honestly, I was very irresponsible. I'd play pieces faster than I was supposed to, way to early into learning the piece, I would skip warming up during practice and just go straight into playing for several hours straight and thought the pain would eventually go away. Today, I picked my violin back up and im now trying to be careful and warming up. The issue is, my 3rd finger still has pain, so would it make sense to stay taking a break until my 3rd finger heals? I'm trying to use minimum viable pressure which I just recently found out about, and it's all good until I get to the D and the G string. It feels like I still need to press kind of hard to get a good tone and I still feel tension in my fingers. I don't have a teacher and can't afford one at the moment. What should I do?

Replies (6)

Edited: August 17, 2019, 1:45 PM · Be sure your strings are not too high above the fingerboard. A business card should just fit between the any of the strings and the fingerboard in the first position.

Also, it is easier to finger the D and G strings if the E string side of the violin is tilted downward a bit toward your chest.

August 17, 2019, 2:11 PM · I agree with Andrew. One of my previous violins had strings too high above the finger board and it caused a lot of pain in my 4 fingers. My current violin is a lot better in that respect, however, my hand hurts just something diffetent
August 17, 2019, 8:50 PM · Have you seen an orthopedic surgeon, particularly one with a hand specialty? If not, I would definitely do so.

What does your private teacher say about this?

August 17, 2019, 9:33 PM · I'm not sure how to reply individually. To Andrew, thank you, it actually helped a bit pointing the e string side a bit more to my chest. The strings aren't too high I believe. To Lydia, I haven't seen any doctor for the issue due to some other issues but in about a week I'll be able to go see someone for it. And i don't have a private teacher yet, I've had to "self" teach myself.
Edited: August 18, 2019, 4:19 AM · Yes, it is best not to play until you can play without pain, otherwise you might end in the same mess the poster of the other posting currently at 63 replies on the page.

Of course it would be best to seek medical advice.

But if that is not possible, I would recommend you give it 2 more weeks and then start training your fingers without the violin. For example put both of your hands in warm water bucket and start pumping them to a fist and back open again several times. And this maybe 3 times a day. And this maybe 1 week before starting to play, You need to get them working well without pain before starting violin. You need to be able to do all the motions you need with violin without pain first without the violin.

So rest is fine but you need to rehabilitate them after rest before playing. And then remember to warm up properly before playing without the violin first.

August 18, 2019, 7:12 AM · In addition to string clearance, other aspects of your violin's ergonomics ought to be validated: Neck angle, fingerboard shape & neck shape. String gauge.... perhaps you could use thin strings for time being to unlearn pressing hard (if that is part of the problem)? SR and CR .... always worth re-visiting and experimenting with.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition
Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition