Next piece

August 13, 2019, 8:11 AM · I'm almost finishing Schumann violin sonata in a minor and my teacher gave me some pieces to the next year. Which one do u recommend more? Please try to create an order (easiest to the most difficult)

-beethoven sonata n5
-kabalevsky violin concerto
-Allemande from partita n2
-Mozart 5
-scherzo brahms
-bruch 1st mov
-summer presto

If u have any other recommendation, tell me pls

Replies (11)

August 13, 2019, 11:03 AM · Actually you could do pretty well taking those pieces in the order you've written them. Maybe work on the Allemande while working on one of the faster ones. For the Beethoven ("Spring") and Brahms Scherzo, you do need a good pianist, but if you just did Schumann then maybe you have solved this problem.
August 13, 2019, 12:30 PM · My opinion only, order of difficulty:

Bach Allemande
Beethoven Spring Sonata
Kabalevsky (hard to decide between this and the Beethoven as the type of difficulty is very different between the two)
::::big jump::::
Summer Presto
Brahms Sonatensatz
Bruch 1st mvt (hard to decide between Bruch and Brahms--again, different types of difficulty)

August 13, 2019, 6:30 PM · Summer presto is harder than beethoven sonata? And what about Mozart 5?
August 13, 2019, 6:35 PM · Oh, sorry, Mozart 5 is harder than almost all of them except maybe Brahms and Bruch. I wish people would not teach Mozart too early but so many teachers do.
August 14, 2019, 6:40 AM · I don't teach violin but I think if someone has done all three movements of Kabalevsky (clean, in tune, up to tempo) plus a Beethoven sonata (same criteria of course), then they're probably ready for Mozart. Most students do Mozart 3 first. Also this presumes that the student has done all of the other stuff that would be preparatory for Mozart like Haydn G Major, Bach A Minor, and at least a few of the Handel sonatas. But if you did Bruch before Mozart most people would wonder why. Also the Brahms Scherzo ("Sonatensatz") is not nearly as hard for the violin as other Brahms sonata material in my opinion. Getting it to gel with the piano -- technically and interpretively -- is challenging.
August 14, 2019, 7:06 AM · I didn't play Haydn g major because I hate this concert but I played bach a minor (all 3 movements). Is there any other movement more interesting than Allemande? I like this movement but I really wanna know if there is any other at the same level that I could play (I've played double from partita 1 and gigue from partita 3)
August 14, 2019, 7:11 AM · The Adagio from the G minor sonata is the same level on ABRSM
Edited: August 14, 2019, 10:10 AM · The Adagio from the g minor sonata is MUCH MUCH MUCH harder than the Allemande and I am astonished that anyone would think otherwise.

The Gigue from the d minor partita is about the same level as the Allemande.

I'm also baffled whenever I hear of a student studying Mozart 5 before either 3 or 4. 3 is the easiest; 4 is harder than 3 but easier to pull off in performance than 5 in my opinion.

August 14, 2019, 11:48 AM · I think Allemande is a bit more difficult to interpretate than gigue d minor. My teacher said that I should try something different like Mozart concertos and she recommended 5. She said that 3 is too easy and it would be a challenge to play 5. Bruch is a big step I think, I don't know if I'm ready to play it...
August 14, 2019, 12:07 PM · Emphasis on it would be a challenge to play 5
Edited: August 14, 2019, 12:38 PM · The Allemande is harder interpretively than the Giga in the D-minor Partita (No. 2) because it's slower and some of the harmonic transitions are not at all obvious. The Giga is harder technically than the Allemande but still there aren't any double stops, and that's (at least partly) what makes a lot of the other Bach movements harder, and the Giga tells a more obvious "story" in terms of the overall form, locations of the climaxes, and so on. Basically at your level you can do the whole of the D minor Partita except for the Chacconne. The Sarabande is hard because of all the double stops but it's beautiful and you can't avoid double stops forever. I will never forget what my teacher told me when I started the Allemande: "You are going to learn a lot about your violin." The B minor Sarabande is harder than the D minor.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases