Sonatas

August 11, 2019, 5:53 AM · Hello all.
I was wondering which violin sonatas had a technically easy ish violin part? I want to read through and/or listen to any suggestions that you guys make for the future (if I can actually find myself a pianist haha).
I have learnt first 2 movements of Schubert D major and partially first movement of Franck and last movement of Brahms A major.
I posted a similiar thing in my violinFacebook group, and Simon Smith (a professor at a conservatoire in the UK) said not Beethoven, so that rules those out.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Replies (20)

August 11, 2019, 7:28 AM · Easy is in the eye of the beholder, and relative for all of us, but you might have a look at Baroque violin sonatas, e.g. Corelli Op.5, #7 or #8, or sonatas of Jean Féry-Rebel.
August 11, 2019, 7:35 AM · https://imslp.org/wiki/3_Sonatinas,_Op.137_(Schubert,_Franz)
is catchy and not too difficult. But of course, even the 'easiest' sonata can be played masterfully ;)
Edited: August 11, 2019, 9:21 AM · We do not really know what your level is, so the question is a bit abstract. However, Mozart sonatas can be fairly easy. Also Handel and Bach. There is some variation in difficulty, and to play them really well requires some work, but you can learn them fairly quickly. Hope this helps.
August 11, 2019, 10:21 AM · Another suggestion would be Dvorak's sonatina. Easy-ish and a great joy to play. Written for Dvorak's children but not childish at all.
August 11, 2019, 11:04 AM · For sonatas, you should learn every movement. It's rare to perform just part of one outside of a purely student recital context.
August 11, 2019, 3:14 PM · @Lydia, I know. Thats what I was going for
August 11, 2019, 4:31 PM · The Schubert sonatinas and Dvorak sonatina are excellent suggestions.

The Mozart G major sonata K301 is also lovely and accessible. Other Mozarts are harder.

Handel D Major and F Major sonatas are very playable.

August 11, 2019, 5:52 PM · The Handels are gorgeous. Everyone should learn them...
August 11, 2019, 6:10 PM · @Mary Ellen, I've done the Mozart. Although could do with polishing it up
August 12, 2019, 9:52 AM · I love Handel's sonatas. I recently learned the A Major and quickly realized that they are bite-sized musical treasure troves.
August 12, 2019, 5:49 PM · @Pamela, I think I have an edition of Barenreiter's Handel sonatas but haven't looked at them as I had assumed they were more difficult
August 12, 2019, 7:57 PM · The Handel sonatas are very good and not that difficult.
August 13, 2019, 9:48 AM · Learning the A Major was not hard, playing it well (or well enough that my teacher allowed me to move on) was... Like any good piece of "simple" music, I suppose. It provided a lot of opportunities for me to grow, without a million technical challenges.
August 13, 2019, 11:00 AM · There are Handel Sonatas in Suzuki books 5-7 if I remember correctly. D major and F major. (Warning -- it has been claimed that not all of these were actually written by Handel.)

The other Mozart sonata that is not too hard is the K304 (E Minor).

August 13, 2019, 3:20 PM · Another vote here for K.304.
August 13, 2019, 5:55 PM · I think I started K304 about 18 months ago but hadn't finished it
August 14, 2019, 7:28 AM · I think I'd include a Bach/Handel sonata in any recital I played. Just to show them some love aha
August 16, 2019, 10:51 AM · I don't know if they are canonically considered "sonatas", but the Four Seasons aren't too bad (barring one or two passages in Autumn) and are pretty easy for a pianist to pick up as well.
Edited: August 16, 2019, 3:24 PM · Four Seasons, if you're talking the usual Vivaldi, are concertos.

If you're talking the Piazzolla, that's chamber music for an unusual quintet (violin, piano, electric guitar, double bass, and bandoneon), though there's a piano trio arrangement.

August 16, 2019, 9:18 PM · @Lydia, I think he meant Vivaldi

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases