Paolo Lorenzo violin as starting instrument

Edited: August 8, 2019, 10:48 AM · I've been lurking around here and reading posts for a while now, but I feel I should now actually take part in this really awesome community! So, like many others here my name is Ryan and I am obviously a late starter (37). I do not have a professional music backround but I previously played tenor saxophone for 2+ decades. I started in 4th grade with the alto first. I've never played a string instrument before, although I have always enjoyed classical music and orchestrated music, as well as pretty much anything that tickles my fancy...Anyways more to the point.

So I have finally found a teacher after going through 2 other teachers. The first one did not take me seriously in trying to play, and the second one was still a conservatory student and wanted to try to teach me music theory constantly without any exercises or playing. He was also a violist rather than a violinist and I am definitely not bashing the viola, it makes a rather beautiful sound as do all string instruments in my opinion. I now have a violin teacher who takes me serious and is a wonderful teacher. I take lessons 4 times a month and practice anywhere from 30 mins to 3 hours each day depending how destroyed I am from work.

Finally to the heart of the manner...The instrument I was able to procure is a Paolo Lorenzo model from West Coast Strings. The label inside says 2009. I have included a link with many pictures. From the limited knowledge I have obtained through research on these instruments they are Chinese of origin. I was able to obtain mine from a lady on Craigslist for $175 for the instrument, the bow, the case, a music stand, a metronome, a tuner, a set of vision thomastik infelt vienna V100 medium synthetic strings, and a delightful bag with animals playing instruments on it that was full of music she was working on.

Either way here is the link to the instrument. I would appreciate an honest opinion from anyone that wishes to give me one. Don't worry I am former Navy I have thick skin! =)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/F5omfhtXKfjQqCin8

Replies (2)

August 8, 2019, 11:11 AM · Assuming that the violin outfit is in good condition and needs no repair or setup work, you got a great deal. Looks like these outfits normally sell for about $900.

Chinese workshop instruments in that price range are perfectly fine for beginners. Most violin shop's rental violins are in the general vicinity of $700-$1,200 in retail price.

August 8, 2019, 11:45 AM · Thank you Lydia I appreciate your input. The pictures I took were literally 5 minutes before posting this and the violin is in good condition, I had the soundpost readjusted and the bridge readjusted as well about 3 months ago. I bought this violin last year of November. The strings I currently have on it are thomastik Alphayue strings which are much better sounding than what was on it. The bow I have I will take pictures of for another post. It's a wood bow (octogonal in shape). I also had the bow rehaired as well since the previous hair on it was dirty near the frog from a lot of use. Yea, the lady was 87 years old and could not play anymore due to her fingers starting to curl from arthritis. I felt great sympathy for her, but I let her know that her violin would be cared for and played. I'll never sell it because it was her wish that it always have a good home.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Meadowmount School of Music

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Potter Violins

Pro-Am Strings

Violin Lab

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe