Neat Johann Christoph Nurnberger bow story

August 7, 2019, 8:29 AM · My daughter was 13 or 14 when she bought a L. Neuner bow from a very small violin shop in Porter, IN. She played it a few years and then bought another violin and wanted a different to match. We listed in on ebay for what we paid for it and soon got an offer for half that. When I wrote the person who offered and told them it was my teen daughter’s bow and wanted what she paid for it, he sent a startling reply! He said that he was just lowballing us but he felt it was actually by Johann C Nurnberger, not Neuner, and that we should have it looked at by a shop in NY, Salchow and Sons. He said if was, that it would be worth a lot more than what I was asking! So we contacted Salchow with pictures and they said to send it in. Much to our daughter’s delight, they soon called and said it was indeed by Nurnberger. They certified the bow, reconditioned it, and currently have it for sale for $8000 (they said it would be worth even more but the end button isn’t original and there are some initials scratched on the end). Our daughter is now 18 and is attending college this fall for a music major. We wrote the guy on ebay and told him he was our ebay angel! The kindness of a stranger meant a lot to us.

Replies (7)

August 7, 2019, 8:26 PM · Yeah that's a great story!
August 7, 2019, 8:57 PM · Congrats on your lucky find!
August 7, 2019, 11:42 PM · Just think of the phonograph tonearm you could buy for $8000.
Edited: August 8, 2019, 8:23 AM · Or a phonocartridge (Lyra Etna)...
August 8, 2019, 2:51 PM · ... moving coil...!
August 8, 2019, 2:56 PM · Have you sent a nice thank-you present to that nice person? I think he deserves it!
August 9, 2019, 2:27 PM · He lives in Hong Kong according to his ebay info!

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases