Best way to put microphone on

August 2, 2019, 5:46 PM · I always see microphones attached directly to the violin. Yea, there are microphones like DPA 4099v which still gives better sound. Still, I'm wondering why not attaching somewhere on our heads, or ears? Considering we're not moving our head so much and actually that's not so correct to move head a lot, so why not stick it somewhere there?) Anyway, I don't think whatever's in our head, whether it's earrings, necklace, eyeglasses etc. would affect to the violin sound much as something additional installed to the instrument itself. Did you try something like that? I still have no microphone to get any chance hahaha) But that's still important thing in my opinion.

Replies (10)

August 2, 2019, 7:09 PM · Once i saw a violinist do exactly what you describe: he weared one of those headphone microohone for talking or singing, but the capsule was extended in order to pick the violin's strings from above.

It worked, for him.
I could never use something similar.

August 2, 2019, 9:07 PM · Some players keep their heads rather still while playing. Leonid Kogan for example. Others bob their heads all over the place. Phillipe Quint or Nigel Kennedy, for instance.
August 3, 2019, 7:42 PM · I attended a concert two weeks ago where the violinist (Catherine Fraser) clipped her microphone on her right collar, and covered it with her hair. She did this on stage.

Surprised the heck out of me. Worked perfectly.

August 3, 2019, 7:56 PM · It means that's not necessary to attach mic to violin, good to know that) now, the main task is to choose the proper mic for violin hahaha
Edited: August 3, 2019, 8:42 PM · The best way to record a violin is to have a condenser microphone mounted on a tall stand, in the direction of the scroll, looking down into the tailpiece from a couple of feet away.

The string attached is that you can't move.

August 3, 2019, 9:48 PM · Clipping to the collar is a good idea ... collars don't move a lot when you turn your head. But that's the kind of thing you'd need to practice and optimize. And probably wear the same kind of shirt every time.
August 4, 2019, 6:05 AM · @Cotton Mather:

you are assuming that the OP needs a mic for recording.

Given that "the best way" is often an unuseful assumption, i bet that in a live stage, with amplified sound, PA, monitors etc, there's a chance that the tecnique you mention could lead to a potential disaster ..... ;)

August 4, 2019, 8:33 AM · I've seen a hanging microphone used for amplification in a hall before.

Edited: August 4, 2019, 9:29 AM · "Cotton" you need to design a helmet that a violinist can wear that will position a Telefunken U-47 directly above their violin all the time.
August 4, 2019, 12:39 PM · @Cotton Mather:
I've used myself, for me and for other musicians, condenser and dinamic microphones for acoustic instruments (violins included obviously). This is the reason that i'm telling that there is not a rule, and that it not always is easy or effective. Or that it is always possible to do it.

The difficulties in doing it, in my opinion, is the reason that the OP asked for that particular solution ......

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Leila Josefowicz and the Los Angeles Philharmonic
Leila Josefowicz and the Los Angeles Philharmonic

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition
Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Meadowmount School of Music

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Potter Violins

Pro-Am Strings

Violin Lab

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe