Favourite

August 1, 2019, 4:41 PM · Hello. A very basic question. Who is your favourite composer and your favourite composition by them? Only original comps allowed ;)

Replies (17)

Edited: August 1, 2019, 6:12 PM · My favorite composer is Beethoven for the totality of his work. If I had to choose a favorite composition it would probably be one of the late piano sonatas. Maybe the Op 111. You can just picture the ideas flowing out of Beethoven's head, the delicate flowers and the crashing hailstorms. Look for the video with Ivo Pogorelich.
August 1, 2019, 6:52 PM · Mine is Haydn and his symphony 104 in D (one of London ones I think)
Edited: August 1, 2019, 7:12 PM · My favorite composer is J.S. Bach. For each instrument he wrote solo works for, it seems to be an entire cascading universe. The Violin Sonatas and Partitas, The Cello Suites and the The Goldberg Variations played by Glenn Gould. It seems unfair to ask for a favorite, as they seem to change over time and on different days.
August 1, 2019, 7:11 PM · Brahms for his chamber music. Hard to pick a single favorite piece. Maybe his C minor piano quartet.
August 1, 2019, 7:25 PM · I enjoyed all of Brahms' chamber music. I did a marathon of all of it earlier this year/late last year and enjoyed all of them thoroughly
August 1, 2019, 7:33 PM · I dearly love Bach, pretty much everything, and I simply cannot pick a favorite from his work as my favorite as that changes from day to day.

Recently I've fallen in love with Biber's Passagalia. I dearly love that piece, and I hope to be able to play it someday.

August 1, 2019, 9:35 PM · Franz Wohlfahrt, Op. 45 No. 27.
August 1, 2019, 9:39 PM · @J Ray, are they the études?
August 1, 2019, 9:44 PM · It's hard to narrow down to one composer and one piece. Often, my favorite piece is the one on my stand that week.

I do love Brahms and am always happy to be playing German Requiem.

August 2, 2019, 6:44 AM · I've never listened to German requiem
August 2, 2019, 9:13 AM · An impossible task.... but some days it's Beethoven. Under pressure I'd pick the quartet Op131, but as Paul says there's just so much.....
Other days it's Mozart - perhaps the C major string quintet.
(Is that cheating - 2 choices?)
August 2, 2019, 2:13 PM · 2 is better than none
August 2, 2019, 2:28 PM · György Ligeti - Violin Concerto
August 2, 2019, 2:38 PM · I enjoyed Ligeti's solo viola sonata
August 2, 2019, 5:37 PM · Beethoven's Archduke Trio.
August 3, 2019, 9:43 AM · Beethoven for me is Symphony 7. Specifically last movement
August 3, 2019, 1:21 PM · Since only one choice is allowed, the answer is clear.

*In spring, it's Erich Wolfgang Korngold with his Violin concerto. It never gets boring, and also has a sentimental value.
*Summer, that's the perfect time for Shostakovich. Can't remember the name or number of the piece, it should be somewhere in this pile of sheet music... However, his 5 pieces for piano and 2 violins were a great joy to play together with my son!
*In autumn, Max Bruch rules for his chamber music, especially the 8 pieces which I really do enjoy a lot.
*In Winter, we shouldn't forget about Franz Schmidt. His String Quartet in A is unbelievable, and the viola part one of my long time goals. Check it out!
*And all over the year, noone should ever suffer from Bach deprivation! But since there isn't one single piece I'd pick out of this incredible oevre, I let him participate out of competition. It wouldn't be fair for any composer to be held against this true and eternal genius.

It's a question impossible to answer. Day, mood, weather, or what you're currently playing... There's so much music I wouldn't want to live without!

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases