Bow storage

August 1, 2019, 9:59 AM · We currently have a bunch of bows in the house and not enough case space to fit them. As of today we have:

One 1/2 size bow (fits in case)
One 3/4 size bow (we don't currently have a 3/4 violin or case)
Three full size bows (two fit in the case)
Two viola bows (both fit in case)
Two Baroque bows (don't fit well in cases because they are short)

So that is 4 bows we have that don't fit in cases. We do have a "bow quiver" (zipper bow case) that is supposed to hold one bow, but I often put 2 or 3 in it. I can't fit 4 in it.

The four bows that I don't have in regular cases are all inexpensive (<$150 each) but I would still like to protect them. Will it harm them if they are sitting out? Will they get grimy? Right now they are just sitting on a table. Any other recommendations?

Replies (15)

August 1, 2019, 10:21 AM · I keep some bows hanging on long nails in the wall. Right now I have 5 cello bows hanging on one nail. I have them hanging from the tip end.

I have also hung multiple violin bows the same way when I was deciding which ones to put in my cases with which violins - at one point I needed to use all 3 nails I have in the wall there.

I don't think 2 ounces of bow hanging that way is going to cause any damage in 100 years.

I just would not do this in a room where food was being fried!

August 1, 2019, 10:24 AM · https://gewastrings.com/product/22437/gewa-bow-case-matrix.html

I own the model for 6 bows.
Very effective.

August 1, 2019, 11:43 AM · Yes, I'm about to order one of those 6-bow Gewa cases.
And you can get them for 12 bows.
I've got bows hanging on the wall, but, question, are they moth-proof?
August 1, 2019, 1:00 PM · Marco Brancalion, do you know if these will hold the Baroque and 3/4 length bows? I always hesitated on that style because I thought they could not accommodate the shorter bows.
August 1, 2019, 1:18 PM · Andrew, I hang my bows on wooden pegs in an old kiddie coat rack attached to the wall.
I hang the bows with the frog up. Maybe you'd consider this imprudent, in case one falls on its tip?
Edited: August 1, 2019, 1:36 PM · Buy a tie rack. Better still: Give the bows to charity and write off the donation. The baroque bows you can just use for kindling or swatting flies.
August 1, 2019, 2:00 PM · Bow case. For shorter bows, get some bubble wrap and use it to cushion the ends.
August 1, 2019, 3:15 PM · Hah Paul! Some of these bows are really deserving of being kindling for a fire. We have one freebie full size bow that just doesn't deserve to be called a bow.
August 1, 2019, 5:12 PM · Herman, I did think about it, but went tip UP because the tip is weaker and the frog ends are thicker so I can hang more bows per nail.

August 1, 2019, 5:17 PM · A billards/pool/snooker cue case* is what I use for storing bows not currently in playing use.
* remnant of a mis-spent youth ;)
August 1, 2019, 5:18 PM · Break them in half and they’ll fit nicely in a vase.
Edited: August 1, 2019, 6:25 PM · My front room walls are mostly full of hanging instruments [Guitars, Mandolins, Octave Mandos and Fiddles].

All if them are on " String Swing" holders. One of the violin model holders on an, out of the way, post holds just "extra" bows.
The tips slide nicely over the foam covered arms. Just two bows on it now but I suppose I could fit 4 bows to each arm for a total of 8, plus 1 or 2 on the intended bow extension on the right arm of the violin model String Swing.

Not really collecting bows at the moment but one never knows.

Edited: August 2, 2019, 3:40 AM · I measured:

Whole pic

Detail

As you can see, the min lenght for a bow to be held by this case is ~57 cm.

I don't believe, from what i can see, that a baroque bow will have problem: in the top lid there is room for an outward curved bow, in my opinion.

Greetings.

August 2, 2019, 1:25 PM · Thank you so much Marco!
Edited: August 2, 2019, 3:34 PM · We had bows shipped to us in one of these:

http://www.pedidesign.com/en/products/detail/bow%20tube%2012

They say it holds 12, seemed decent enough.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Meadowmount School of Music

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Potter Violins

Pro-Am Strings

Violin Lab

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe